Utah!

Just letting my friends here know if anybody directs a post at me I may not answer for a bit. Shoulder surgery Friday...fun stuff, but I'll be down and out for at least the week after that, maybe two. Will catch up when I am up moving around more and off the pain meds so I don't post a bunch of goofy nonsense.
wink.png
LOL
In the meantime I will hope the rest of you are having a far more exciting and fun Labor Day Weekend! Please cross fingers that my chickens survive my DH and 15 yr old being in charge of them
D.gif
Best wishes Lisa!

Just letting my friends here know if anybody directs a post at me I may not answer for a bit. Shoulder surgery Friday...fun stuff, but I'll be down and out for at least the week after that, maybe two. Will catch up when I am up moving around more and off the pain meds so I don't post a bunch of goofy nonsense.
wink.png
LOL
In the meantime I will hope the rest of you are having a far more exciting and fun Labor Day Weekend! Please cross fingers that my chickens survive my DH and 15 yr old being in charge of them
D.gif
Best wishes to you and your chickens.

wink.png
LOL
D.gif
As a 2 time rotator cuff surgery 'survivor" good luck and DO YOUR PT LIKE A GOOD GIRL! It really helps in the end.

I was out spray painting in the wind today, got a chuckle out of it and was thinking that seems to be how a lot of my life goes. But on another note, I answered a query out on the main board today regarding roosts in runs and or other such. I thought I would share the pictures here to perhaps inspire those of you who have been thinking of providing a roost in your run or if you free range like I do, near your coop.

It is designed after the old sawbuck concept, is easy to move and I use both long or short poles as the need arises. I made mine from redwood so as to be light enough for the DW to move as well as for all weather durability, but pine would work just as well. Anyway food and photos for thought…

Best to all and your birds,

RJ

Hi guys, I have a male welsh harlequin and I was just checking to see if anyone in the Layton/Bountiful/SLC/Ogden area was interested in providing him a new home? He is very lovely and has bonded to me. The problem is that, he lost his lady after something came and ate her and four of our chickens. I don't want to be selfish or cruel anymore and want him to be with other ducks. I could get another duck but we live with my in-laws and I'm not sure if they'd be up for that. Or maybe if there is anyone who has a lady friend or friendly drake that they wouldn't mind selling or rehoming. I want to keep him, really bad but am having trouble finding another duck for him. Anyone have any suggestions?

As a 2 time rotator cuff surgery 'survivor" good luck and DO YOUR PT LIKE A GOOD GIRL! It really helps in the end.

X'2 on the PT..didn't have the surgery, almost..but the PT really helped me a lot after falling in Mexico and going through the torn cuff. :/ So, do that PT like they say, will help you heal faster. Good luck. You're in my prayers. :)

Hello everyone!
I'm terrible about keeping current here, so I end up just popping up every once in awhile when I have a question. We've had a busy year at my house, though! After a years long struggle with infertility we're expecting our second child in March! Which I am ridiculously excited about...I've basically been floating around on cloud 9 for the last two months.
big_smile.png

We lost one of our chickens this week, though. :( We have no idea what happened to her, everything seemed fine, but then she was gone when my husband went out to check on them on Tuesday. I have another girl who's broody. I've moved her out of the nest box a few times, which has always worked in the past, but she's just not having it this time so I'm thinking about getting some eggs for her to hatch. I've been wanting to add to my flock anyway, but with losing my girl this week I think it might be time. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts about this? Good idea/bad idea? I've never done it before, so I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.
jumpy.gif
Can someone point me in the right direction to find fertilized eggs or does anyone have some if I do decide to go that route?

Hello everyone!
I'm terrible about keeping current here, so I end up just popping up every once in awhile when I have a question. We've had a busy year at my house, though! After a years long struggle with infertility we're expecting our second child in March! Which I am ridiculously excited about...I've basically been floating around on cloud 9 for the last two months.
big_smile.png

We lost one of our chickens this week, though. :( We have no idea what happened to her, everything seemed fine, but then she was gone when my husband went out to check on them on Tuesday. I have another girl who's broody. I've moved her out of the nest box a few times, which has always worked in the past, but she's just not having it this time so I'm thinking about getting some eggs for her to hatch. I've been wanting to add to my flock anyway, but with losing my girl this week I think it might be time. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts about this? Good idea/bad idea? I've never done it before, so I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.
jumpy.gif
Can someone point me in the right direction to find fertilized eggs or does anyone have some if I do decide to go that route?
I have some hatching eggs if you are interested. I have a Speckled Sussex Rooster over Speckled Sussex, Cuckoo Marans, Wheaten Crosses, and Leghorn Crosses. I'm in Cache Valley. Let me know if you're interested!

Hello everyone!
big_smile.png

jumpy.gif
I have fertile Silver Laced Wyandotte eggs in the Herriman/Salt Lake area if you are closer to SLC.

Hello everyone!
big_smile.png

jumpy.gif
Congratulations!

I'm not an expert (hatched twice with a broody for the first time this year), but it has been a good experience. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the eggs will be hatching about October, so the chicks will hit 6 weeks in November. If the broody chooses not to stay with the chicks for the full six weeks (my one did, I don't know what my other will do) you might need to provide supplemental heat.

You will probably want a separate place for your broody and the chicks. Here's what I did. My broodies are both bantams. I cut an opening in a small moving box from Lowes and put it in a wire dog kennel in my shed. I moved her into the box at night with some fake eggs. After I was sure she wasn't going to break because of the move, I got her some real eggs. The hen brooded in the box. I put food and water in the box while she was broody and threw her off the nest for her daily constitutional. She and the chicks lived in the kennel for the first five weeks then I fenced off under the coop and let them live there for another few weeks. My second broody I put in my new bantam coop and she brooded in the nesting box there.

(If you use horizontal water nipples, you don't have to worry about providing a chick waterer too, the broody will show the chicks how to use it.)

Integrating the chicks has been a bit of a pain. My coop and run aren't very big. I put a roost in the run, so right now the pullets live up there most of the time. I've heard things improve once the pullets start laying, so I'm hoping that happens soon.

I made a timeline of what happened when, so I'd know for later. It's only one hatch, but might give you an idea of what you might expect.

I really like hatching so far though. Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom