Utah!

I have a pipped egg..on day 19.  Heard it chirping this morning, thought no way!  DH was in the doorway when it did it, says, I heard it.  Then it pipped later in the morning.  Still no change in the pip, but may have a chick tomorrow.  Early bird.  For a change!  

These are frizzle/silkie.   The dad is a blue frizzle silkie, so pretty..and the moms are from my silkies   They should be pretty cute.

I love the silkies you hatch! If you end up looking for homes for these littles....I'm always in the market.
I'm so glad that your son is doing so well! My little brother had spina bifada. He was always my hero. Most amazing, kind, loving, strong, courageous person I've ever known!

Last edited:
cynthia i am so glad your son is doing so well! that would be so challenging for him and for you i am sure.

red i am so sorry you lost another bird :( fox maybe?

wow lisa that is one big egg! poor girl!

We are thinking coons. A neighbor on the streets behind us says she's had several in her trees. We borrowed a live trap from another neighbor and will be setting it up soon. I might have a coon skin to go on my wall soon :/

Cynthia, napdognewfie, I forgot to offer my sympathies for the struggles you have both endured with the spina bifada with your children. I can't imagine losing my baby or having to watch them suffer like that. I'm sorry.

We are thinking coons. A neighbor on the streets behind us says she's had several in her trees. We borrowed a live trap from another neighbor and will be setting it up soon. I might have a coon skin to go on my wall soon :/

Cynthia, napdognewfie, I forgot to offer my sympathies for the struggles you have both endured with the spina bifada with your children. I can't imagine losing my baby or having to watch them suffer like that. I'm sorry.
i thought about coons but i know they will go in and do mass killings and often leave a big mess. but its possible for sure, especially since you know they are in the area

So, I never caught the little rascal that ate one of my Speckled Sussex. :( Turns out my trapping skills are non existent. I believe I would have been a gatherer, not a hunter, in a past life.

Thanks again RJ for the trap. I hope I don't first it!

I've been drowning in school and just stopped by to catch up. What time do you light them at each night? Since you're only a couple blocks over, I will definitely drop by for a look.
smile.png

I have them on a timer so they light up just before dusk and at 5 am as well.

'Tis (almost) the season. What do you do to keep your water from freezing?

This winter we're going to visit family for about a week (yay). My super nice neighbor usually watches my chickens for me, letting them in and out each day. I need a way to keep the water and horizontal nipples from freezing. Last winter, at night I dumped the water and stored the empty bucket inside. During the day, I just went out and added hot water as needed, but I'd feel bad asking my neighbor to do that.

I bought a stock tank deicer from IFA for my 3 gallon bucket in my bigger coop. I have a smaller coop (this is its first winter) that currently has a 1 gallon bucket in it. I'm debating the virtues of an aquarium heater versus one of those lightbulbs in a tin (either one plugged into a thermo cube). Any opinions or better ideas?

'Tis (almost) the season. What do you do to keep your water from freezing?

This winter we're going to visit family for about a week (yay). My super nice neighbor usually watches my chickens for me, letting them in and out each day. I need a way to keep the water and horizontal nipples from freezing. Last winter, at night I dumped the water and stored the empty bucket inside. During the day, I just went out and added hot water as needed, but I'd feel bad asking my neighbor to do that.

I bought a stock tank deicer from IFA for my 3 gallon bucket in my bigger coop. I have a smaller coop (this is its first winter) that currently has a 1 gallon bucket in it. I'm debating the virtues of an aquarium heater versus one of those lightbulbs in a tin (either one plugged into a thermo cube). Any opinions or better ideas?
I have one of these that I used last year, worked out well :)

http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovato...id=1445963938&sr=8-4&keywords=heated+pet+bowl

Bath house is coming along ok, perhaps paint by the weekend. OH, does anyone have access to a bunch of fireplace or fire pit ash? I am looking for and in need of a bunch to provision my little dust bath house. I am going to try to create an all weather, covered dust bath for the birds, something which won't freeze nor become wet. A 'dusty' dry place for them to groom in year round, well, that is if they will. There is always the chance they will stiff me and ignore my little covered hut.
sad.png

Best to all and your birds,

RJ
I forget where you are exactly, I am in Kearns. I have fireplace ash all winter long. I usually put it on the garden, but would be happy to donate it to your cause if you want it. I do have some available now. I did not clean the last ashes out from spring so they are still there. Im getting ready to clean up and get ready for winter burning again. So...just let me know if you want them.

RedIII I have seen at least 6 raccoon this week dead on the side of the road here in the valley. Two of which were in very well populated areas. One on 4700 south and 2700 west (aprox) and one at 3500 south 56 west. I dont remember seeing so many this far into town. maybe there was a population explosion. Little jerks.

Please, I need help.
My favourite duck has bumble foot. Infection is setting in, It needs to be removed before I loose her. I have watched a bunch of Utube videos on removal, only one was a duck, but the procedure seems to be the same.

Has anyone here successfully removed bumble? Would someone be willing to help me? I cannot do this myself. I do not have a steady hand to begin with and am battling a sprained/ dislocated thumb on my dominant hand.

I can provide surgical scalpels, size 10 or 11, bandages, neosporin, gloves, etc.

I can bring several pounds of yummy leland farms chicken mash, duck eggs, fireplace ash, (I really dont know how to bribe chicken people do I; LOL )

Back
Top Bottom