Utah!

Way to go Red! Can't wait to see the progress. Got our Coop done, run is next...hoping this weekend, that and gardening.....it sure looks nice on the forecast! Love the spring sun, after all the cold. Our coop was cuter before I think, we added to the back of it, and it took away from the shape, not thrilled about it but the girls really needed more room and without starting from scratch it was the only way to make it work. Will get some pics up when it is warmer outside.

Phoenix, your blues started laying their eggs in the run, in the corner, I cannot get those stinkers back to the nest box. I think my BR is chasing them around in the coop when they try to go in to lay....and they have gotten frustrated with her....tried putting the plastic egg in the nest, not working. Silly girls. I feel bad for them I hope they can get back in there to lay again, might have to put my BR somewhere when I know they are ready to lay. Question for you---- My light colored Polish chirps LOUD all day long, it is soooooo annoying, we cannot get it to stop. It is eating, drinking, otherwise seems great. Unless it dozes off it just squeals all day...and it is really high pitched. The other one is so quiet, is yours noisy? Just curious if its the breed or if I have another psycho chicken lol.

Sphinx--good luck on your hatch! I would go crazy. I cannot stop hovering over the eggs I have going....it would be hard to let them set in a class. Crossing fingers for you!

Hello all! It's been awhile since I've stuck my nose around here. The last time I was here, was before all the changes, and I like the changes!

I only recognize some of the names anymore, so I'll re-introduce myself.
I'm in Sandy, in a county island zoned A-1 (best of all worlds) We've got 40+ hens right now.
This will by my 4th spring raising chicks. My system is to buy 25 chicks in the spring, and sell the "old" 1/2 of my old flock in the early summer.
I have teenage boys at home, so that takes care of a lot of egg production, but I sell many eggs to neighbors and co-workers.

Here's a problem I've got. Before the new chicks are grown and laying and after I sell the "old" girls, there are several weeks that I'll be down almost 1/2 of my egg production. I sell eggs for a clean carton plus $3/dozen. I sell 4 dozen very regular eggs each week, plus I have a several customers that buy 4-6 dozen eggs every couple of weeks. I've built up my clientele and want to keep them, but as it sits now, I can't keep up with the egg orders and have to keep putting people off for days.

I've also wanted to sell at farmers' markets, but on my lot, I can't produce near enough eggs on a regular basis. (They sell for $5/dozen in Park City!) In the grand scheme of things, I'd love to start an egg co-op. I'd buy extra eggs from whatever fresh source I can find, and re-sell them to customers at $3/dozen. [or more].

So, I'm looking for anyone between Sandy and Salt Lake, (close to the 900 or 1300 East corridor ) or someone willing to travel just a bit, that would be able to sell me eggs between $2 and $2.75 a dozen on a consistent basis. Would love love to get a large co-op going. Anyone interested?

Last edited:
Hello all! It's been awhile since I've stuck my nose around here. The last time I was here, was before all the changes, and I like the changes!

I only recognize some of the names anymore, so I'll re-introduce myself.
I'm in Sandy, in a county island zoned A-1 (best of all worlds) We've got 40+ hens right now.
This will by my 4th spring raising chicks. My system is to buy 25 chicks in the spring, and sell the "old" 1/2 of my old flock in the early summer.
I have teenage boys at home, so that takes care of a lot of egg production, but I sell many eggs to neighbors and co-workers.

Here's a problem I've got. Before the new chicks are grown and laying and after I sell the "old" girls, there are several weeks that I'll be down almost 1/2 of my egg production. I sell eggs for a clean carton plus $3/dozen. I sell 4 dozen very regular eggs each week, plus I have a several customers that buy 4-6 dozen eggs every couple of weeks. I've built up my clientele and want to keep them, but as it sits now, I can't keep up with the egg orders and have to keep putting people off for days.

I've also wanted to sell at farmers' markets, but on my lot, I can't produce near enough eggs on a regular basis. (They sell for $5/dozen in Park City!) In the grand scheme of things, I'd love to start an egg co-op. I'd buy extra eggs from whatever fresh source I can find, and re-sell them to customers at $3/dozen. [or more].

So, I'm looking for anyone between Sandy and Salt Lake, (close to the 900 or 1300 East corridor ) or someone willing to travel just a bit, that would be able to sell me eggs between $2 and $2.75 a dozen on a consistent basis. Would love love to get a large co-op going. Anyone interested?

omg you are alive! been wondering where you have been. welcome back
smile.png
i had a guy try to set me up with winder farms, they had a few different eggs and one was cage free brown eggs if i remember right and they were going for over $5 a dozen according to his little book. so that is something you may want to check into.

Phoenix, your blues started laying their eggs in the run, in the corner, I cannot get those stinkers back to the nest box. I think my BR is chasing them around in the coop when they try to go in to lay....and they have gotten frustrated with her....tried putting the plastic egg in the nest, not working. Silly girls. I feel bad for them I hope they can get back in there to lay again, might have to put my BR somewhere when I know they are ready to lay. Question for you---- My light colored Polish chirps LOUD all day long, it is soooooo annoying, we cannot get it to stop. It is eating, drinking, otherwise seems great. Unless it dozes off it just squeals all day...and it is really high pitched. The other one is so quiet, is yours noisy? Just curious if its the breed or if I have another psycho chicken lol
The gsl laid in on the floor a couple of times. Think the rooster was chasing her all over. The polish have been quite. I had a Phoenix that was noisy then I got to looking at her and noticed her bum was covered cleaned her up and she quieted down.

The gsl laid in on the floor a couple of times. Think the rooster was chasing her all over. The polish have been quite. I had a Phoenix that was noisy then I got to looking at her and noticed her bum was covered cleaned her up and she quieted down.

She laid on the floor for me a few times too.....I think she had so many of those doubles that sometimes it would just drop before she could get to the nest. I miss her! I miss them both....I am so glad you have them though so I can hear how they are doing :) BUT my remaining girls will keep their feathers now so it had to be done. I think the switch was good for those guys, they needed to be humbled lol!

This little polish does have a little bit underneath. I will try cleaning her and maybe that will work for me too. Thanks for the idea :D

... Phoenix, your blues started laying their eggs in the run, in the corner, I cannot get those stinkers back to the nest box.

Ha! I love to see the strange places where my girls lay their eggs. It always seems to be in the furthest corner of the coop where I can't reach, or even in an old feed box. I usually put an old piece of 2x4 or a brick in the exact place they are not supposed to be laying. They usually find another (correct) place to lay after a few days. Oh, also try putting strips of cloth on the front of your nest box. Some hens like the.... privacy... Weird, but true...

omg you are alive! been wondering where you have been. welcome back
smile.png

Thanks! Life just happens, and you get out of the habit of chatting chickens. You keep buying food, cleaning coops, rotating compost, building up garden bed, selling old lady chickens, buying new baby chicks. It's the circle of urban farm life.

...i had a guy try to set me up with winder farms, they had a few different eggs and one was cage free brown eggs if i remember right and they were going for over $5 a dozen according to his little book. so that is something you may want to check into.

It's amazing the prices of things anymore. And I fear it's going to get worse. I only use 1/3 of my feed from IFA now. A 50 lb bag used to be $12 or $13, it's almost $18 now! I have a source in Idaho where I get 1/3 of my feed from, and then I find someone on KSL who is willing to trade old storage wheat for a few dozen eggs. It works out pretty well.

Lisa, did you say you entered the hatch along? They are wanting people to get the form signed..didn't see you there! Plus, they need a picture of the eggs you have set for it. Go to post 599, if I remember right, that's one of the places that he makes it easy to go to the form and sign in.

Sounds like Pacs has come good advice there on how to stop a hen from laying where you don't want it to. Putting something in their fav spot.
Welcome back Pacs, hope you find some eggs. It's hard turning a flock over and missing those eggs, even when it's a small flock. I'm in that process right now.

Brad, I'm excited. Can't wait to meet up with you on Sat. Those Pencils are looking amazing. Wait till you see yours in person. They are sweet birds too. They really are beginning to look like birds. Just beautiful. The little buff girl is quite a bit smaller. I'm thinking the pencil will remember being with her though while in the the teen coop/run, if not, she won't be mean, at least she wasn't here when I put them in together a while back. The Pencils are getting along with the older girls too. I still need to put them in the coop at night. But like I said, once up on the roost..they stay. And, still no lights or heat, and even though tonight is going to be one of the coldest nights we've had in a while, I'm not doing heat. They do well in the coop without the wind chill hitting them.

Shinx, is the BLRW that you think is a roo, the darker blue one in one of your pictures? The one I was liking? lol.. Little stink. I wonder when they will start crowing. I was thinking that the other day while looking at that tail on black..ahem, girl's, tail. That tail looks like a roosters tail at this young age! But, no wattles, no red in the comb..the comb looks to have one tiny bit of comb coming in..and she's several months old. This one really has me wondering more than any other bird at that age..well, the lavender took me a while, but I am thinking girl. Now watch, she will be the firs to crow!!
hmm.png

I've had little cockerals start tying to crow as early as two weeks old before! Funniest thing I ever heard, and happened to be there to see. Stretched that little neck out and started making a noise I've never heard come from a small chick before. Too funny. Then, I've had a leghorn start around 3 months old. A Nankin start around 5 months old. So, I guess you never know. I want that black to be a girl so bad. Lisa knows I want a black EE layer. And to think of all the blacks I've had, and I keep this one.
Oh Lisa, you had asked about tiny tot. It died at, I think was only 4 days old. It was so active and it just up and died. That chick was not normal.

Well, one more cold day..then we are headed for some really nice weather! I'm excited. My chickens are excited and don't even know it yet. They can come out..even the ones in the teen coop.

Hey, I am selling Baily. Thought she would be one I would keep forever, but not after how she was, and is. After hearing Lisa's story of how her broody was mostly broody, I just can't keep a girl that is going to be like that. Maybe it's mostly my fault right now. She is confused because I took her baby away. I didn't telly you, but she was picking on their toes when they came out from under her, had a look in those eyes I didn't trust. She just didn't get the hang of being a mom. She sure has the hang of being on a nest box. This guy is coming from Herriman..is that right? Spelling. He doesn't care for the eggs so much, they just have several bantams, and baby their chickens. He's rescued one, he's got one that is waay old. I am so happy that she is going to be spoiled and loved. He just got a buff cochin, and saw my ad and wanted her to go along with this one. :))

I have two bators in lock down.

Ok, there ya go, my book for the day. Have a great day all! Of to play with chickens.
jumpy.gif
D.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
jumpy.gif
ya.gif

Aww Cynthia, I'm sad that your tiny black chickie didn't make it. I'm sorry to hear that. Glad that Baily is getting a nice new home, though. I saw your ad for her on KSL and was like, "Nooo, no, you do NOT need a broody hen." I'm so mean to myself sometimes.

Lisa, any luck with the crybaby? I was going to say earlier and then forgot, I have a chick that cried for a while after I got her, but after she got used to her new "sister", she settled down and was fine. However, woe to anyone who tries to separate them, even for a minute. She's needy for her sister and will let you know!
smile.png

By the way, I thought I'd check on here first before trying to put an ad on KSL - Does anyone in the Salt Lake valley, Tooele valley, Bountiful, or Lehi area have a retired hen they're looking to get rid of? Preferably one that is at least a couple of years old, and if she doesn't lay any more, that's a bonus for me! You see, I have a lonely little rooster that is in need of some company. I thought we'd be rid of him a while ago, but no, the boyfriend is fond of him................Yes I'm talking about Jerry
he.gif
I keep teasing my boyfriend that he's attached to his "mini turkey", ha. Don't have much money, but I'm willing to drive to any of those areas to pick her up and take her off your hands.

Back
Top Bottom