Utah!

Sundancen I love the pictures of you (congrats) and the story about carrying your chicken around the store!
big_smile.png
I hope naked neck will be ok. Poor thing. I wonder what could have happened. Sad. By the way how is Sphinx's lavender?

So I got more eggs!!! Little tiny blue ones.

They are as small as my Silkie eggs! The second egg is from my Bantam Polish then a large store bought egg.

These littles guys and gals are bantam wheaton Ameraucanas. I'm so excited!
celebrate.gif
Sasha and I are in cahoots!

No break in the heat here! Should be 107 again today.
tongue.gif

Last edited:
Wow. Those are beautiful Hattie! I am looking forward to seeing your little Ameraucanas.

Sundance - I knew Darkness was a winner when I saw her on Red's post. Congratulations on all of your winnings. I'm sorry to hear about your NN's accident. I wonder what happened.

Sad news. It's wierd that this would happen so soon after Lisa's hawk attack. Last night my mom went to put her chickens away and one was missing. We searched everywhere and assumed that she was hiding out and we would find her in the morning but the next day she still didn't show up. My mom was cleaning out the coop today and happened to look out the window as a grey hawk came swooping down to grab one of the silkies that was sitting in the shade of the coop. She screamed at it and then ran out of the coop to see it swooping up and flying away. Luckily she must have scared it when she yelled and it didn't get one. She and my husband are out right now trying to get a top on her run so that they can't get anymore.
My mom loves to let her hens run around the yard every day and then puts them in at night. It is so nice to see them eating grass and bugs and then laying under the bushes to keep cool during the hot part of the day. They have been so happy out there and it is really sad having to lock them up now.
Does anyone have any suggestions as ways to keep hawks from getting the chickens other than standing out in the yard all day? Also, what would be a good thing to put accross the top of the run other than chicken wire? My mom doesn't have a ton of money and needs something that doesn't cost too much but is still effective. I have been looking around the internet and some people say the fishing wire and CD's work and others say it doesn't. Any opinions or suggestions?

Last edited:
Sundance, you are too funny. I can see you walking around with a chicken, like it is no big deal haha! I hope she is ok. Honestly, we really wanted to put ours in the fair, and got super busy that day, but I think part of me kept procrastinating because they have to be left there from Wed - Sat and that made me uncomfortable to have spectators around my girls and me not there to watch over them/ them getting sick or hurt. I kept thinking about it, and then putting off going down there...then was wishing I had, then glad I didn't...wishy washy soul that I am. Your "darkness" is gorgeous, btw, I almost got one of those from Cynthia when she hatched them, so so pretty.

I just recieved eggs that I;ll be hatching

Just on my way home from Lake Tahoe for a family reunion so I have been out of the loop for a week. I did call Wheeler farm and they don't take chickens any longer so I will have to call Thanksgiving Point when I get back. Don't want to risk my whole flock for one silky roo.....no matter how cute he is hahaha

Happy, that's terrible! So sorry you guys lost a chicken
hugs.gif
It must be the season. I put pieces of plywood across the top of my run. If you check the Free Stuff section on KSL's classifieds, sometimes people will give away scrap building materials and you can just come pick them up. I mostly used scrap on my run, then trimmed the edges with a circular saw. Works great.

Sundancen, your poor girl! I hope the NN is okay. She was just sitting in her cage when we saw her. I never saw her get up and walk. I'd be so nervous about putting my chickens in the fair, just because I wouldn't be able to keep an eye on them 24/7.

Lisa, how's things today?
hugs.gif

Aunt Hattie, love the eggs! Ameraucana seems to be the word, lately
smile.png
You'll have fun!

And now, I need to go see if I can figure out how to change a towing plug on my truck. I've got the right part to replace it, so let's see if I wire it so that the brake lights show up as hazards on a trailer
lol.png

Sundancen I love the pictures of you (congrats) and the story about carrying your chicken around the store!
big_smile.png
I hope naked neck will be ok. Poor thing. I wonder what could have happened. Sad. By the way how is Sphinx's lavender?

They are as small as my Silkie eggs! The second egg is from my Bantam Polish then a large store bought egg.

celebrate.gif

tongue.gif

big_smile.png

celebrate.gif

tongue.gif

big_smile.png

celebrate.gif

tongue.gif

They think that the rooster behind her might have scared her and she got her leg caught in the wire, they have never had a chicken hurt like that. I gave her a pain shot when I got her home. Wasn;t sure if I should lock her up or not for now she is sitting under my Gazebo with food and water close by. She is dragging her leg behind her at present it does not work at all. Sphinxs Americana is hanging in there. she can't walk but is eating and drinking.

Happy2behere so sorry to here about your mothers chicken. Was it a Silkie that is missing? Hawks grrrrrrrrrr! I'm so glad she stopped it from attacking again. Hopefully it was scared off for awhile until you can get the run covered. I've seen a lot of times people on craigslist asking for left over chicken wire. You could try that too. Good luck. So sorry that happened to your mom.

Sundancen it is so sad to hear about your chicken. I really hope she heals. Sphinx's too. What kind of eggs are you incubating know?

wgidir how was Lake Tahoe? It is so pretty there. I hope the weather was nice for you. Good luck with your Silkie. I just saw one on KSL that was sold you might give it another shot.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Wow. Those are beautiful Hattie! I am looking forward to seeing your little Ameraucanas.

Sundance - I knew Darkness was a winner when I saw her on Red's post. Congratulations on all of your winnings. I'm sorry to hear about your NN's accident. I wonder what happened.

Sad news. It's wierd that this would happen so soon after Lisa's hawk attack. Last night my mom went to put her chickens away and one was missing. We searched everywhere and assumed that she was hiding out and we would find her in the morning but the next day she still didn't show up. My mom was cleaning out the coop today and happened to look out the window as a grey hawk came swooping down to grab one of the silkies that was sitting in the shade of the coop. She screamed at it and then ran out of the coop to see it swooping up and flying away. Luckily she must have scared it when she yelled and it didn't get one. She and my husband are out right now trying to get a top on her run so that they can't get anymore.
My mom loves to let her hens run around the yard every day and then puts them in at night. It is so nice to see them eating grass and bugs and then laying under the bushes to keep cool during the hot part of the day. They have been so happy out there and it is really sad having to lock them up now.
Does anyone have any suggestions as ways to keep hawks from getting the chickens other than standing out in the yard all day? Also, what would be a good thing to put accross the top of the run other than chicken wire? My mom doesn't have a ton of money and needs something that doesn't cost too much but is still effective. I have been looking around the internet and some people say the fishing wire and CD's work and others say it doesn't. Any opinions or suggestions?

Oh my goodness, I'm getting more and more nervous with these stories. My hubby and I are soo considering the fish line. We have trees we could put it up high enough that we wouldn't have to worry about it. Some from the apple tree to the coop, and some from the tree to our house. Ladders will be needed for sure. I don't want to get caught in all of the fish line I am envisioning in place!
Happy, you can only hope that the other chicken shows up, because it hid when it saw that hawk yesterday!

auntie, sundance, I'm in with you, I got some nice green eggs today. Makes me smile. Plus, I have some Turken eggs coming next week. I thought, haven't tried them yet. The only thing is, I'm reading they don't do well in winter..hmm, wonder why. Hope mine are smart enough to stay in the coop with the heat lamp on it. Heat, they do great..and to think they were accidentally hatched that way.
Picture of my green eggs, I want a hen to lay one of those really dark ones. :)

Did a DE treatment on my girls. Goodness little pullets are hard to catch..and that was in the coop with Scott helping.

Had an older pullet start laying today..Yaay for that.

Back
Top Bottom