Vaccinations? Beding? Dewormer? winter time?

KariBunny

Songster
7 Years
Sep 8, 2016
Terrell TX
Hi, I have several questions lol :)
I just got a pair of Pekins. First of all they are 5or6months that's what i was toll.
Anyways do they need vaccines? Also I had forgetten ducks are dirty. What type of beding can i use? there is a lot of flies where i have them.
I live in Texas and i want to prepare myself for winter time with these pekin ducks, do they need a heat lamp and what other stuff they need for winter?
I have a pair of bantams and 3 bunnies i was wondering if there is a dewormer that i can give to the pekins, bantams and the bunnies?

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply.

God Bless! :D

This is were they are right now.

If you have limited space for the ducks, there are some tricks.

I put chopped straw in the pen and it mixes with their manure and makes a nice earthy smelling compost that is good for the garden. I just let it build up, turn it a bit with a cultivator to aerate it, and then a few times a year put it on the garden. It also attracts worms they can eat.

To reduce wetness (that makes for unpleasant aroma), you can get a large plastic bin, cut down one side (leaving a two or three inch lip that you can cover with duck tape to protect their feet), put sawdust pellets in it and put their water bucket in there. The sawdust will absorb splash and leave the rest of the bedding much drier.

Dried oak leaves are great for reducing aroma.

I use a combination of hanging fly traps - the kind where you add water and the flies go in but do not go out - and fly predators. Works great. I also use the Little Tree Vanillaroma hanging deodorizers to discourage flies near the door of the shelter.

I would respectfully add to redsoxs advice about not needing heat that my ducks don't read the manuals, and so they don't always go by the book. Several of my flock did not thrive under 35F, so I moved their night pen and that solved the problem. It stays above 40F in there and they are much healthier. So, think ahead about options, and watch them. You can tell if they are not thriving.

Heat lamps can be very dangerous in combination with bedding, so some other method, like keeping them in a shelter that's inside a barn that stays above freezing, or built against a structure that will provide some heat might be a possibility.

Last edited:
If you have limited space for the ducks, there are some tricks.

I put chopped straw in the pen and it mixes with their manure and makes a nice earthy smelling compost that is good for the garden.  I just let it build up, turn it a bit with a cultivator to aerate it, and then a few times a year put it on the garden.  It also attracts worms they can eat.

To reduce wetness (that makes for unpleasant aroma), you can get a large plastic bin, cut down one side (leaving a two or three inch lip that you can cover with duck tape to protect their feet), put sawdust pellets in it and put their water bucket in there.  The sawdust will absorb splash and leave the rest of the bedding much drier.

Dried oak leaves are great for reducing aroma.

I use a combination of hanging fly traps - the kind where you add water and the flies go in but do not go out - and fly predators.  Works great.  I also use the Little Tree Vanillaroma hanging deodorizers to discourage flies near the door of the shelter.

I would respectfully add to redsoxs advice about not needing heat that my ducks don't read the manuals, and so they don't always go by the book.  Several of my flock did not thrive under 35F, so I moved their night pen and that solved the problem.  It stays above 40F in there and they are much healthier.  So, think ahead about options, and watch them.  You can tell if they are not thriving.

Heat lamps can be very dangerous in combination with bedding, so some other method, like keeping them in a shelter that's inside a barn that stays above freezing, or built against a structure that will provide some heat might be a possibility.

Wow awesome info thanks a lot :)

Back
Top Bottom