Valentine's Day 1st Annual Hatch Along

Every one of those breeds you listed is I've I would LOVE to have! Right now I have cochins, buff orpingtons, a welsummer, a black star, a white leghorn, and one I think might be a production red. But I'm super excited to get legbars and rhodebars in a shipment of chicks this April! My hope was to breed them. It's sounds like legbars are difficult to hatch ... why is that? Does anyone know?

this is my dream flock. I had a "couple of girls" two summers ago. The city decided I was too much inside city limits (my back neighbor was luckily in the country, go figure) and so I had to rehome my girls. Well, we tried buying land in florida to build a farm and we just couldn't make it happen no matter what we tried. I told my husband it just wasn't in Gods plan for us. Well, wouldn't you know, we got orders back to Bragg and I started looking. Once we decided on the Carthage area (still close enough to bragg or Raleigh for his work after retirement) and saw that we needed to up our price range by $20 and BAM! found the perfect piece of land that had just been listed 3 days earlier. It'll be ours in just another week and a half... or two.

So we're starting to collect our hatching eggs. Afterall, it takes almost a month just to hatch them, add in a few more weeks in our backroom or garage to brood them, our house will be mostly finished being built by the time we put them out there. All I'm missing are buff orpingtons. and those will be the easiest to find. Oh, and my husbands jersey giants. And then I can start looking for goats.... and turkeys... and.. and.. and..

need I say more?
c
we already have a pig being forstered at a friends, lol.

this is my dream flock. I had a "couple of girls" two summers ago. The city decided I was too much inside city limits (my back neighbor was luckily in the country, go figure) and so I had to rehome my girls. Well, we tried buying land in florida to build a farm and we just couldn't make it happen no matter what we tried. I told my husband it just wasn't in Gods plan for us. Well, wouldn't you know, we got orders back to Bragg and I started looking. Once we decided on the Carthage area (still close enough to bragg or Raleigh for his work after retirement) and saw that we needed to up our price range by $20 and BAM! found the perfect piece of land that had just been listed 3 days earlier. It'll be ours in just another week and a half... or two.

So we're starting to collect our hatching eggs. Afterall, it takes almost a month just to hatch them, add in a few more weeks in our backroom or garage to brood them, our house will be mostly finished being built by the time we put them out there. All I'm missing are buff orpingtons. and those will be the easiest to find. Oh, and my husbands jersey giants. And then I can start looking for goats.... and turkeys... and.. and.. and..

need I say more?
c
we already have a pig being forstered at a friends, lol.
Sounds so exciting. Best of luck to you on your hatch, house, goats and all.

The other possible contests that would need prizes donated for are:
First Chick to Hatch - closest to midnight on Vday(with photo proof)
Worst Hatch Rate
Most Eggs Set

The prizes can be anything from books(yes used too), hatching eggs, poultry related crafts, BYC memberships, BYC products, if you have anything you would like to donate as a prize let me know and we can see if it would work.

Dont forget there is also a contest for .....Guess the number of eggs set by everyone total in the HAL.....PM those guesses to Dragonclaw.
I set my eggs a bit early....

could I join and just not be entered for the 'first chick to hatch' part?

It's great to see all the different breeds that people are setting!! I added 1 more egg today for a total of 6. I believe they were all layed by buff orpingtons, with the exception of one, maybe two being laid by a RIR. On an unrelated note, I got a HUMUNGOUS egg from my one of my blue Andalusians last night. Forget Extra large, this egg was Extra, Extra large.

I didn't set any of these eggs, but these are about the normal size I get from my BO& RIR hens, with the white one being from one of the BA hens. I thought for sure I had a duck in my pen!!

Last edited:
I got my eggs set around noon today. I think about half of them won't be fertile. The cold weather really makes it hard. First the roosters slow down on mating then some of the eggs get too cold. I've adjusted and this time I set 2.5 times as many eggs as chicks as I need. And if there a re too many for hatching I'll find a way to get a hatching incubator all set up.

I set my eggs a bit early....

could I join and just not be entered for the 'first chick to hatch' part?
Right now we only have a prize for best hatch rate and total number of eggs set by all particpants....so yes lol.

If anyone want to donate a prize and pick the contest they want it to be for...please pm me!!

Sent you an amended total. I set mostly Showgirl/Shizzle and Silkie/Sizzles and EE, then a few each of FBCM, Olive Eggers, Frizzled Olive eggers, Buff Orps, Barred Rock, RIR, Black Sex Link, Frizzled Turken, and GL Wyandotte. Yay.

We have a new contest and a new prize added!!!

Worst Hatch Rate!!!!

Same rules as the Best Hatch Rate contest.

Do not count clears to wards hatch rate.
You will need to submit proof of the unhatched eggs at day 23-24 of your hatch. You can do eggtopsies or just show the same egs in your incubator as the orginal proof photo you pm'ed me.

The prize is 6 Araucana Bantam hatching eggs donated by @RavynFallen shipping is included in the prize,

Thank you so much Ravyn!!

If anyone else would like to donate a prize and pick the contest they want it for please let me know.

Remember to join any of the Best Hate Rate and Worst Hate Rate contests you need to PM me, if you do not you wil not be coounted in the contest. PM deadline is 1/30.
Eggs must be hatched(or not) and counted by 2/22 at the latest. i know that is a week after the hatch date but we had some late joiners and people still waiting on shipped eggs to arrive. i am sure everyone understands.

Dragonclaw also has a contest going to Guess the number of eggs set total by all HAL members, PM those guesses to Dragonclaw Please.

Contests:
1 ~ Guess the number of Eggs set by HAL members
2 ~ Best Hatch Rate - Prize: 6 month Golden Feather
3 ~ Worst Hatch Rate - Prize: 6 Araucana Bantam hatching eggs Donated by @RavynFallen

Back
Top Bottom