Valentine's Day 1st Annual Hatch Along

ok-so update on this egg. first, yes it is fine. when i opened it up i saw this

this chick is completely breeched! that is why it pipped low. what is good to see is what is at the bottom (pointy) end of the egg. it is the urea that is next to where the yolk is attached. by this placement i can tell the chick is fine and it didnt grow upside down, it rotated that way before trying to pip. by seeing the urea i could tell the chick had absorbed its yolk and was fully detached.
here it is 'out', it is drying in the incubator now.

of the one that pipped through a vein, it is doing very well-took about a day to start showing vigor, but i will move it soon to the brooder. i did however have a few that pipped early and then gave up, i was able to rescue one but it is barely breathing. they were shrink wrapped and yet the veins never retracted.
Whoa. Wow, awesome that you could help that chick!

My late shipped Valentine hatch happened today! I had set 15 eggs. 3 SFH, 6 Rhodebars and 6 CCL. 1 CCL was a quitter, 3 Rhodebars were clear and one had a blood ring., and 1 SFH was clear and 1 was an accidental chicken abortion (I thought it was clear until I cracked it open). All in all, 9 babies hatched today.

I had about 4 of them sticky chicks and 4 shrinkwrapped. It was crazy! I don't know what went on in my Brinsea. This is the first hatch this has ever happened to me. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the whole bad shipping experience in a blizzard and having horrible saddled air sacs.

I don't know.

Claudia

i found the best thing for me is to write the date on the egg when i put it in the bator.....then count my days on a calendar hanging by the bator where i have a line running thru the lockdown days and what breed....so if i just glance at the calendar i should know if anything is going in the hatcher that week or not, what breed/s and what day. Way easier then counting over and over and trying to remember the dates  and i have a visual reminder right there on the wall. i also do off set hatches so i might have those 6 eggs go into lockdown monday and these 10 on friday of the same week and everything else stays in the bator untill....whatever the calendar says.
[/quote]

Agreed!
Every other hatch I have had them posted on wall, phone and chick journal calendar! Lol
Along with eggs numbered dated and weighed! The one time I keep it to a pad of paper...between OCD ( the chicken variety) ADD and gettin' old...I blew it.
My first chick out died less than 3 hours post zip, two popped out and the fourth was a late quitter.

This beggar will settle with what was given...!

Last edited:
i found the best thing for me is to write the date on the egg when i put it in the bator.....then count my days on a calendar hanging by the bator where i have a line running thru the lockdown days and what breed....so if i just glance at the calendar i should know if anything is going in the hatcher that week or not, what breed/s and what day. Way easier then counting over and over and trying to remember the dates and i have a visual reminder right there on the wall. i also do off set hatches so i might have those 6 eggs go into lockdown monday and these 10 on friday of the same week and everything else stays in the bator untill....whatever the calendar says.

Agreed!
Every other hatch I have had them posted on wall, phone and chick journal calendar! Lol
Along with eggs numbered dated and weighed! The one time I keep it to a pad of paper...between OCD ( the chicken variety) ADD and gettin' old...I blew it.
My first chick out died less than 3 hours post zip, two popped out and the fourth was a late quitter.

This beggar will settle with what was given...![/QUOTE]
We all all live and learn so to speak thats why we all keep hatching. i've had alot of bad hatches like 1 chick from 20 or none at all but i learned a lot from those hatches and now i have 70%+ hatch rates. Keeping in mind 95% of all of my eggs are shipped to me.

i found the best thing for me is to write the date on the egg when i put it in the bator.....then count my days on a calendar hanging by the bator where i have a line running thru the lockdown days and what breed....so if i just glance at the calendar i should know if anything is going in the hatcher that week or not, what breed/s and what day. Way easier then counting over and over and trying to remember the dates and i have a visual reminder right there on the wall. i also do off set hatches so i might have those 6 eggs go into lockdown monday and these 10 on friday of the same week and everything else stays in the bator untill....whatever the calendar says.

Agreed!

This beggar will settle with what was given...![/QUOTE]
I use charts and tabs. The charts on page one is a record of set date, lock down date and hatch date as well as temps and humidity for each day of incubation, candling manuel turn times and a space for remarks. I also put whose eggs they are which bator they're in. The second page has ID number, set date, candle date , culled or fertile which stage they died at if the chick was positioned right live or dead pip rots cull or good, if the egg was fertile if the chick was good if it hatched. I also add what was set for this batch which bator they were in and the breeder. At the bottom I write which ones and how many were pulled for either clears or died. I only write on the chart what hatched. As time goes by I use these charts to keep track of their age, if I sold any and who to or if any died after hatch and the date.. I also put a color dot on chart 2 that goes with the color dot on the eggs it goes to, and the date it hatched. Chart one helps with determining any problems during incubation like unstable temps or humidity.

I have 2 still air hovobators and you can see I was clearly having trouble keeping them stable. If anybody would like copies of blank charts just PM me and I'll send them to you.

Oh and the color tabs I also use by placing one that is the same color of dot on the egg and chart that has the lock down date on it. I either put these on the chart sticing out so I notice it easier or right on the window of the bator.

Back
Top Bottom