Valentines Day Hatch-A-Long 2016

junebuggena

Crowing
Apr 17, 2015
Long Beach, WA
My girls are finally getting back to laying. That means it's time for me to fire up my incubator. I'm setting a half-dozen Easter Egger eggs and a half-dozen black sexlink eggs on the 23rd.
Anyone else care to join?

Eggs were set today

I think (could be wrong) that Isabelle Leghorns are a silver-based partridge coloring but with the self-blue/lavender gene diluting the black patterning. I think that Cream Legbars are gold partridge coloring with the cream gene, which is a recessive diluting gene for gold, and the barring gene. The Leghorns will breed like they don't have the dilute when crossed, so basically like a Silver Leghorn. The Legbars will breed more like a 'crele' color, when crossed.
If the Legbar is the rooster, and the Isabelles are the hens, you might get non-typical red sexlinks. All the chicks will be barred. Pullets will be golden in coloring. Males will be black and white, with some red leakage as they mature.
If the rooster is Isabelle, and the hens are Cream Legbar, you will get non-typical black sexlinks. All the boys will have head spots indicating barring, and the hens won't get the barring gene at all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom