Valentine's Day Hatch

I had a wellsummerXbarred rock hatch but its legs are crippled. I thought they were all bad so my humidity was 0nly 28 percent. They're in with my 3 GHD coturnix quail. Maaybe they'll live...?

Don't forget when you're done with the hatch to not only clean but disinfect your incubator.

There's many ways to do this - I first use a triclosan based soap to clean/scrub the bator. Then drip dry for 24 hours. Next I bleach it and drip dry for 24 hours. Then I use Chlorox Clean Up Wipes on it, and let that dry, then I store it or put it back to use.

I pulled my last four eggs and opened them. Four fully formed looked like they were ready to hatch dead chicks,
sad.png

Well, I just need to enjoy the 29 little fuzzies I have charging around the brooder. I'll take a picture of the group tomorrow. About half of my EE crosses having fuzzy little faces.

Deb

Don't forget when you're done with the hatch to not only clean but disinfect your incubator.

There's many ways to do this - I first use a triclosan based soap to clean/scrub the bator. Then drip dry for 24 hours. Next I bleach it and drip dry for 24 hours. Then I use Chlorox Clean Up Wipes on it, and let that dry, then I store it or put it back to use.

Wow, sound a little fancy there lol, all I do is wash it in hot water with soap and then squirt hand sanitizer on it and just wipe it all down. I'ts funny how we do our best to disenfect it, and the hen doesn't clean at all but still ends up with like 95% hatch rates.......

anyways, 6 out of 8 eggs that started to develop hatched. So I guess I got a 75% hatch, which I think is really good considering they were mostly shipped eggs. I snuck all the chicks under my broody last night, she accepted them, so now I don't have much to worry about
smile.png

heres some pic I took

there not very good pics lol happy chick days everbody!
jumpy.gif

Wow, sound a little fancy there lol, all I do is wash it in hot water with soap and then squirt hand sanitizer on it and just wipe it all down. I'ts funny how we do our best to disenfect it, and the hen doesn't clean at all but still ends up with like 95% hatch rates.......

anyways, 6 out of 8 eggs that started to develop hatched. So I guess I got a 75% hatch, which I think is really good considering they were mostly shipped eggs. I snuck all the chicks under my broody last night, she accepted them, so now I don't have much to worry about
smile.png

heres some pic I took

there not very good pics lol happy chick days everbody!
jumpy.gif

I usually moisten a cleaning rag with some dish detergent, go back over it with another moist rag then wipe it down with a Clorox wipe. I figure if I can close it for a day and it smells clean it's gotta be good enough.
idunno.gif

Congratz on all the hatching everyone! I'm still waiting on my tester quail eggs, they're due to hatch starting tomorrow.

As for sanitizing, I just wash mine in soap and water and spray some oxine on it and let it air dry. Never had a problem. I have a brinsea, so less porous than the styrofoam bators, although I did the same when I used one of those.

Yesterday I did a bad thing and opened the incubator for a listen... I was worried none of them would make it after the issues I had with temp and humidity. One peeped at me! No pips last night, but there is one this morning from a different egg! I can hear it now across the room. Today is the official 21 days, even though we have a power failure for a couple of hours, at least one is on time.

Yay! So far so good. Need to clean the whole house and get my butt outside to work, to keep my hands off that incubator. I'm doing it right this time, not opening it! I should know better, I've hatched enough. Excitement level has never decreased for me though.

For sanitizing, I spray the whole bottom with hot water, then mist with clorox and let it stand 5 minutes. Then rinse with hot water and wipe with a paper towel. Then for the top and the edges inside, I spray a lightly damp paper towel with clorox and wipe it down, then wipe it with a damp paper towel until the bleach smell has been reduced. I let them both air dry for 24 hours, then pack it away into it's original box.

Or I set it back up again, put water in, and find some more eggs. My boy ducks need to figure out how to hit the mark now that I'm getting eggs from the girls... they're 8 months old and Spring is coming!

My chicks are doing great this morning! the tape chick is 100% normal. I have two of my late hatchers that are spraddled, but they have hobbles on and are getting to the food. I showed the alpha chick (there's always one, right? LOL) the nipple waterer and he's now convinced everyone else to use it.

The 'panda chick' in my earlier pics is definitely either an americauna or an easter egger (or at least from a blue egg). I figured out which chick was out of my own eggs besides the NN - there's only one with feathered legs and that's got to be mine. I have a coop full of brahmas and langshans and a feather legged roo so I am sure that's my fourth. :)

Back
Top Bottom