Vent problem - what is this?

gurlbear

Songster
6 Years
Mar 17, 2017
This is a 3 year old Silver Laced Wyandotte. What is going on here? She is acting normal. I saw this yesterday evening. I segregated her, bathed her, sprayed with wound care and it is more swollen this morning. Any advice?
0B819CC6-04E5-4ADA-9C5B-F539CEC75D76.jpeg

She's having issues pooping. I'd clear the poop gently, & give some stuff to soften, or slicken her insides.

You can feed her coconut oil to slicken her insides, a couple good stool looseners are molasses water(Water the dilutes iron content), dairy products(Chickens are lactose intolerant).

It looks like she has a prolapsed vent. The white material is urates. Does it look like the other chickens pecked at the vent? Keep the prolapse moist with ointment, honey, or vaseline, so it doesn’t dry out, until you can push it back inside. Has she been laying eggs or showing signs of constipation?

It looks like she has a prolapsed vent. The white material is urates. Does it look like the other chickens pecked at the vent? Keep the prolapse moist with ointment, honey, or vaseline, so it doesn’t dry out, until you can push it back inside. Has she been laying eggs or showing signs of constipation?
She hasn’t had any droppings since I moved her inside, about 14 hours ago, so I assume she is constipated.

I agree with giving calcium. I also would feel inside the vent with a clean lubricated or gloved finger to feel for an egg. If there is an egg, try to oil it and get it out. Prolapses can happen with egg binding or without. Constipation is another cause of prolapse. Try to determine which of those is the problem. If constipated using oil can help to break up any dried droppings.

Back
Top Bottom