Ventilation in cold climate/small coop

sarahfvosz

In the Brooder
May 3, 2018
Western NY
I'm reading that chickens should have 1sf ventilation per 10sf of coop. For my 4X4 coop I need 230 square inches.

How does this look for a plan? (I attached front and side view of leanto design) We will cut six 4X6" vent on either side, and a 4X21"vent in the front. We will line with hardware cloth and have vent covers that can flip closed. The summers here are cool but can be humid. We weren't planning on having any functioning windows but could make a couple 12X12" ones if that would be a good idea.

Anyone ever place a hygrometer in the coop to keep an eye on humidity levels? Wondering if this may be a good idea for the winter- so I can keep it as closed up as safely possible. (If so, brand recommendation please :) )

Attachments

• IMG_9940.jpg
    IMG_9940.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9939.jpg
    IMG_9939.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 9
I put a hygrometer in the first smallish coop I built and discovered how even more humid it was inside than the high humidity we had outside. I immediately cut much bigger windows in the coop. However the building was 6'X8'.
You can't go wrong with more ventilation. Chickens are outdoor animals with tiny compromised respiratory systems. They need continuous fresh air.
Also, don't worry about the cold. Chickens can handle it. What breeds will you have?

Don't know what breed yet- working on finding out today. They are local so I'm sure they're hardy.

I think I will get a hygrometer- would be interesting to see.

Back
Top Bottom