Ventilation on small coop?

Okay I'm not trying to cause problems but didn't you say your coop was 3x3x2?

Well the height doesn't matter but I agree I'm worried about the size if the ladies are large fowl. How large is the attached run?

If the flock won't be allowed to free range it's recommended there is a minimum of 4 square feet of coop space and 10 square feet of run space per bird. Of course these are guidelines and some birds can manage with less but it does increase the probability of fighting and bullying.

Also I wouldn't count the nest boxes.

I hope your girls are safe and I love the red color of your coop. Very barn-esque.

Okay so by large fowl we mean chickens that aren't bantams. So EE are a large fowl but you're correct most are smaller than say an Orpington or RIR.

The coop is a little small and you may find that you want to add to it to add more girls(unless not allowed to). Being all EE they may do okay but they will benefit more from extra space so you may still want to add to the coop part specifically.

40 square feet for the run is good for the girls but they will strip it bare of vegetation in no time so tractoring them on the weekends will be a huge treat for them. We free range our birds. It seems to me like EE especially do will with it and they love it! They're also great foragers.
Make sure you handle them regularly as chicks and make friends with them. They'll go through a stage where they think you're monsters but generally settle down again just before coming in to lay. I think more space helps this.

Okay now you will need to watch for any signs of boredom and being too crowded and will have to remedy that if it becomes a problem.

With the coop only being 2 feet tall there isn't really enough room for a roost like that is there? What are you planning to build the roost out of?

You don't want the girls to have to duck all the time on the floor of the coop or on the roost.

I love your idea but I'm worried about how it will work with such a short coop.

I'm really not trying to discourage you just help you learn. I think it's great you're putting in all this effort and that you already are aware of possible predators! Don't forget predators may try to dig in.

Do you mean circulate with a shutter? Well I mean you’d be able to close it off if weather was particularly ugly like a windy night or big storm or something like that which part of the bay are you from I’m just north in the redwoods but spent a lot of my childhood there

Given your extremely mild weather, I think I'd just leave the pop door open 24/7...and make the run as secure as possible, and put another roost in the run and let them roost in the run if they want to assuming its covered.

Back
Top Bottom