I've found two companies in the US that make organic, corn-free, soy-free chicken feed - one on the east coast, one on the west. On the west coast, Scratch and Peck based out of Washington. On the east coast, New Country Organics is based out of Virginia and Texas. A 50 pound bag of corn-free, soy-free feed costs $30-$35 and comes in starter, grower and layer. They also sell in bulk and they offer pellets. It may cost more to have it shipped but it might be available at a feed co-op near you for a reasonable price. You might also call around to see if you have a nearby feed mill that costs less. High end chicken feed is not cost effective if you're selling eggs cheaply but maybe if you have a niche market of customers who want to know what they're eating, you could make the math work out.

I think i looked into New Country Organics and found there was something about them I couldn't go with, maybe it was the gluten? I've run through so many different options that I forgot which reason I've had for passing on a certain company. I passed on Scratch and Peck because they offer a lesser product than New Country Organics at the same price, but for 25lb bags, so really its double the price. As for my local co-op, cattle is much more prevalent in my area, Id say poultry farming, even in the backyard sector, probably accounts for less than 5% of the total livestock in the area, so sadly there isn't much demand to keep anything other than the most bog standard chicken feed in our local stores.

The OP is looking for feed for ducks, not chickens, so that may make a difference here.
Mary

Correct, but as far as I know, its just the difference of nutrition %s that makes a slight difference, but if I can just obtain a baseline nutrition amount for chickens, I can probably do some quick napkin math to adapt for my ducks.

From the different websites that have been suggested, a list of common ingredients are pretty simple honestly. Organic Wheat, Organic Barley, Organic Peas, Organic Flaxseed Meal, Ground Limestone, Fish Meal, Organic Sesame Meal, Organic Flaxseed Oil. I would have guessed that's all that went into what I need, but I still need to know what measurements to mix them with, I doubt I can just purchase a half ton of each of those and mix them all 1:1, this is where I am stuck.

Back
Top Bottom