Vet says gapeworm, recommends unavailable treatment; options?

But the vet did an internal exam and said there was no egg. She is not going to react well if I tell her she's wrong again. :(

But the vet did an internal exam and said there was no egg. She is not going to react well if I tell her she's wrong again.
sad.png
ok feel back towards the poop chute underside if it is egg it should be
that you are able to feel it

But the vet did an internal exam and said there was no egg. She is not going to react well if I tell her she's wrong again.
sad.png
If the vet inserted her finger and checked and found no egg, then there is no egg. A stuck egg is very easy to check for.

-Kathy

Is she still panting like she had been? you said she is eating and drinking? is she
able to have a bowel movement?

Is she still panting like she had been? you said she is eating and drinking? is she
able to have a bowel movement?

Yep, still panting...but also eating and drinking, even to the point of defending the food from her friend. I just gave them a mash of organic layer pellets and once she decided she liked it, she made the other bird wait to eat. I'm so frustrated. I would have sworn, based on everything I've read and seen, that she was egg-bound (even though she has never yet laid an egg), but the vet says no. So all I can do is home remedies and the Panacur, and hope she gets better from whatever it is. :(

...also, the vet said "she's very tight in there" so when she does start to lay, she "won't have any problems." Not sure what one has to do with the other, but okay. Maybe that means something to those with experience.

Calcium for her may help also.

She has oyster shell available and I'm currently baking eggshells to mix in with it; should she have an actual calcium supplement added to her feed? If so, what kind? I really want to do everything I can for her. We lost our very beloved dog a month ago (she was fifteen and had cancer) and I can't stand to lose another pet so soon. This hen is one of our two friendliest and a definite favorite with the kids (and me).

cross your fingers he is right maybe give her the calcium @mg15 is
suggesting lets see with it and the safegard ie panacur and
her eating well with water she will be alright

Back
Top Bottom