Viable treatment for Marek's Disease.

Pics
Update.

While no sign of Marek's was found yesterday in my professional assessment, two eye infections were. A third began developing last night.

I have treated MG with the Chinese Skullcap tincture using the 425mg 2X daily dose. From what I'm seeing at the moment, I do not believe it is effective as a prophylactic for MG. I could see a breakthrough case, but 3? At the same time?

I'm looking into the circumstances as all three birds are special needs and stay in the same roost area, I recently changed bedding, two have issues eating, one had a recent eye injury, one recently joined the flock.

Hmmm. Like really recently. (30 days) Like hasn't been here long enough to build up in his system.... He's only ever had the prophylactic dose in his feed.

I may have messed up here. That new one is a Silkie Rooster.

Maybe new birds and special needs birds need boosters.

Hmmm. I'll update. I may have jumped the gun here, but still learned something.

Ah, well...knowledge is power.
How do you determine how much tincture is 425mg? I can get dried root and make a tincture, but I would have no idea how much of the tincture is 425mg. One dropperful? two? A teaspoon of the liquid? Also is it okay to be dosing chickens with an alcohol tincture? Is it really okay for them on a daily basis?

Okay, so I've been trying to follow this thread and I've been reading up on using Chinese skullcap, but the dosages vary greatly in studies, which isn't as much of a problem for me as the fact that if I buy a powder, how do I know how many mg to use?

I mean, are they talking about mg by weight of the powdered root? Or mg of the constituent baicalin which then is what I mean by - huh? LOL - then how much powder to feed them?

Does that make sense?

How do you know how much active ingredient you are giving them if you mix some powder in their feed?

How do you determine how much tincture is 425mg? I can get dried root and make a tincture, but I would have no idea how much of the tincture is 425mg. One dropperful? two? A teaspoon of the liquid? Also is it okay to be dosing chickens with an alcohol tincture? Is it really okay for them on a daily basis?
Honestly, I buy the tincture already made from someone who has lab certification. I'm already neck deep in the math and have accidentally given inaccurate numbers twice.

Christopher Boelson at Earthashram on Etsy sells a tincture and a custom blend with support for organs.

Okay, so I've been trying to follow this thread and I've been reading up on using Chinese skullcap, but the dosages vary greatly in studies, which isn't as much of a problem for me as the fact that if I buy a powder, how do I know how many mg to use?

I mean, are they talking about mg by weight of the powdered root? Or mg of the constituent baicalin which then is what I mean by - huh? LOL - then how much powder to feed them?

Does that make sense?

How do you know how much active ingredient you are giving them if you mix some powder in their feed?
You ask the seller for the Baicalin content. They should have a certificate to send you. Then you do math.

My head is spinning. I read through 14 pages of this thread…
Situation: Lost 13 of my flock over the past 3 months.
PCR results confirmed ALV & Marek’s today… I don’t want to cull. FYI, The vaccinated chicks were 90% of the deaths.
I now have 22 (5 roos + 17 hens) and all are in “relatively” good health 6months-1 1/2 years in ages.
Just finished 5 days of All-In-One. Will put them all out to free-range tomorrow and saturate their entire coop (8” deep sand, 8’x12’) and dirt run (15’x30’) with Synergize.
Tonight I will order the chinese skullcap.
Could I mix it into oatmeal and feed as morning dose once it arrives (how much for 22 birds)? Or could I get advice on what to do and how much to mix into feed and/or scratch- (the math of it just seems beyond me at this point..) I am also faced with a family member in hospice and our business under attack- so if you are a praying person, prayers would also be very appreciated.
Simple instructions on what to do next for a desperate and frazzled fairly new chicken tender is what I’m hoping for.
Thank you in advance 🥰
IMG_5845.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5781.jpeg
    IMG_5781.jpeg
    413.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5881.jpeg
    IMG_5881.jpeg
    446 KB · Views: 13
My head is spinning. I read through 14 pages of this thread…
Situation: Lost 13 of my flock over the past 3 months.
PCR results confirmed ALV & Marek’s today… I don’t want to cull. FYI, The vaccinated chicks were 90% of the deaths.
I now have 22 (5 roos + 17 hens) and all are in “relatively” good health 6months-1 1/2 years in ages.
Just finished 5 days of All-In-One. Will put them all out to free-range tomorrow and saturate their entire coop (8” deep sand, 8’x12’) and dirt run (15’x30’) with Synergize.
Tonight I will order the chinese skullcap.
Could I mix it into oatmeal and feed as morning dose once it arrives (how much for 22 birds)? Or could I get advice on what to do and how much to mix into feed and/or scratch- (the math of it just seems beyond me at this point..) I am also faced with a family member in hospice and our business under attack- so if you are a praying person, prayers would also be very appreciated.
Simple instructions on what to do next for a desperate and frazzled fairly new chicken tender is what I’m hoping for.
Thank you in advance.
Ok, here we go.

I started the thread to document the events so anyone with doubts could review the entire back story and see real results from anyone who gives it a try. When we are done. It will be longer.

I believe that it is possible to dose your chickens in one meal. I'm actually trying it by putting half the daily dose in their evening meal (we call it chicken dinner). I commonly medicate in the evening meal to assure everyone's presence and confirm consumption.

With the product you purchased, 1tsp will treat 30 birds.
I'll relieve a bit of pressure by letting you know it has a 96 hour life in a standard chicken, so if you miss a day or two, it's not the end if the world, double up on the next dose. It has a cumulative effect, so it builds up in their system.

I hope this is what you need.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Back
Top Bottom