[VIDEO] Owl snags one of my ducks

It takes about a week or two of every nite corraling them to Auto pen, then like clockwork they will go in

Interesting. Well, I'll certainly give that a go. I feel so bad for them. As soon as dusk arrives, the huddle so close together in the pond - something they really never did before - I swear they're not sleeping at all. Constant high-alert cannot be good for them. If they could get into a secure pen, even if it involves some dedicated training up front, I'd feel a whole lot better.

I'm just trying to see it in my mind's eye. Is it like a chicken run/kennel beside the pond?

Interesting. Well, I'll certainly give that a go. I feel so bad for them. As soon as dusk arrives, the huddle so close together in the pond - something they really never did before - I swear they're not sleeping at all. Constant high-alert cannot be good for them. If they could get into a secure pen, even if it involves some dedicated training up front, I'd feel a whole lot better.

I'm just trying to see it in my mind's eye. Is it like a chicken run/kennel beside the pond?
I've seen lots of duck houses next to ponds. My duck house (which they used all of 1 night) is just a big wooden box I built out of scrap lumber. It's not cute, but I could have made it cute if I felt like it.

My coop has an automatic door. My duckies all use it fine. It lets them out in the morning, and they go in before it closes them in at night.

Last thing: I have bird netting over my pond. My pond is just a kiddie pool, but their 25x25 ft yard has netting over it. I'm building them a bigger pond in a larger yard (50x50ish ft) will also have netting over it because of hawks, owls, etc.

You are absolutely correct in all of your assessment. I even told the kids (6 & 8) that "Malmal" will probably not live as long as the others due to her handicap. The pond is about 75' x 50' and 4' deep at the center. It's primary purpose is as a water reservoir for fire suppression (our fire rescue response time is 45-60 min). Having raised the ducks from day old ducklings makes it a bit personal, of course. But the reality is, the pond was put in for the family. Ducks are a bit of an afterthought. Will do what we can to minimize predation, but ultimately it may be futile.
I am sorry Malmal got grabbed, sorry for both the little duck and your family. I'm used to dealing with ducks in a much larger pond and a very long deep river, so owls have never been much of a predator problem . . . as far as I know. Since a lot of mallards were spending the night in a canal off the river last summer, even though you could hear owls loudly hooting in the trees on the canal, I am guessing they have little fear of them. I think the owls were probably most interested in the rodents living in the embankments, too.

Last edited:
Ducks need a covering to hide at night. Ducks hide naturally in bushes. I know Mallards on the water can dive under when owls swoop down but I dont feel my ducks (bright white Pekins) are safe on the pond all night since they don't fly and prefer a bush to hide in so I lead them into a pen with a nightly treat of tomotoes. They love it and I sleep better.

Ducks need a covering to hide at night. Ducks hide naturally in bushes. I know Mallards on the water can dive under when owls swoop down but I dont feel my ducks (bright white Pekins) are safe on the pond all night since they don't fly and prefer a bush to hide in so I lead them into a pen with a nightly treat of tomotoes. They love it and I sleep better.
:goodpost:

Yes, I'm going to have to make some changes. Do you still have to bait them to go to the pen, or do you feel they'd do it on their own. I can whip up a pen using some cattle fence, chicken wire and garden netting pretty quickly - but again, my concern is that it adds another layer of responsibility. If they can be "trained" to go into it at dark, I can automate the pen with a door closer/opener as I've done for the run and coop for my chickens.

The reason why we went with a floating duck house was because of land-based predators. We've already had the chickens attacked by a bobcat, so anything that is on land will have to be stout enough to withstand that kind of assault.

Back
Top Bottom