*** (( VIDEOS )) BUILDING A MEALWORM FARM and RAISING MEALWORMS! (( VIDEOS )) ***

Can you keep them in the garage in the winter? I did not think they would live??
I'm not sure.
hmm.png
Does it get very cold where you live?

I have no knowledge of your operation. I don't want to seem negative.

However, I once had a mealy worm infestation in my house caused from parrot food. I moved 3 times and took them with me every time. I finally threw everything out in my pantry along with everything that could possibly house them. these things spun webs in book covers and edges of curtains. They started as little worms and hatched into little white moths.

I don't know if meal worms and mealy worms are related. But when I see them eating/living in oatmeal all I can think of is how hard it was to get rid of them in my house.

Mat2dong, thanks for posting these videos. I would like to subscribe but do not know how to easily find your videos on YouTube. I can do far only view them as embedded videos on BYC, which does not have the subscribe and advanced options that YouTube does. Could you post a link to the first video? Then I could find the others on YouTube. If you haven't noticed, there are tons of mealworm farming videos on YouTube. I think yours is the best I've seen so far :)

Hey Mat, thanks for the 7 videos. After watching them about a couple of months ago, I ventured into the farming of my own mealworms. I have the same 3 box setup you show. I have been putting the pupas in the top bin and let them turn into beetles. Have had beetles now for quite a while, and continue to add more pupa routinely. I may have missed or overlooked some information that I would appreciate some help on.

1) How long after they turn to beetles should one start seeing little mealworms? I saw on one of the videos that you said the beetles live about 30 days while laying eggs.......then die. I don't know exactly, but I just started seeing little ones the past couple of days. I've already cleaned out some dead beetles, while continuing to add new ones.

2) If you put pupa in the same drawer with beetles, will the beetles eat pupa? When I cleaned out dead beetles this past week, I found more dead pupa that dead beetles........is that normal?

3) One last timing question for now - from the start of pupa through the entire cycle, how long should it be that you should get your first group of mealworms that are of a size to feed the hens? I wasn't sure what to expect, but have to admit that it seems to be a lot longer than I thought it would be. Are we talking about maybe 2-3 months before you get the "full cycle", if you will, engaged completely?

Thanks!

1. You should start seeing larva and eggs within the first two weeks but you have to look very close. Look for movement:)

2. As long as your moisture content is right you should not lose too many pupa. In my experience they will eat some but the young larva far outweigh the loss.

3. The sizes will vary due to temperature, moisture, and foods that they have available to eat. If everything is right you should be getting your first set of feeders at around two months at the latest. Mealworms are treats not a main food source so your birds will not be able to gorge themselves on this set up.

If you want to reach me easier you can contact me on www.HomeFarmIdeas.com easier.

Anymore questions on this? I am thinking about doing some update videos is why I ask:)

Back
Top Bottom