Virulent Newcastle's Disease in Los Angeles County CA

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 11.43.04 AM.png

I am so worried about this. My entire flock free ranges my yard. I have so many sparrows and doves flying around everyday. I keep water in different areas for my flock, especially for hot days. And I have three pools for my ducks. How do I keep all of them safe and still allow them to free range? If I locked them up they would go crazy. But I don't want to lose any of them either. Can anyone give me advice other than the biosecurity measures to take?

I am so worried about this. My entire flock free ranges my yard. I have so many sparrows and doves flying around everyday. I keep water in different areas for my flock, especially for hot days. And I have three pools for my ducks. How do I keep all of them safe and still allow them to free range? If I locked them up they would go crazy. But I don't want to lose any of them either. Can anyone give me advice other than the biosecurity measures to take?
You could free range them inside your house instead of outside.:eek:

I don't think there is any real way to prevent wild birds visiting. Pretty much all you can do is cross your fingers.

Don't you wish they would map the cases out on a real map? :barnie
I actually emailed APHIS and asked if they could be more specific with regard to where the VND-positive birds were found - I asked if they could at least tell me the ZIP code or city. They replied that "to protect the privacy of the owners" they could not, but they did say all the cases were in "Southwestern San Bernardino County". So I am assuming Chino, Chino Hills, Montclair, Pomona (although technically Pomona is LA Co) should be very worried. My feed store in Pomona where I buy my horse feed has already been visited by CDFA - they dropped off papers with VND info for customers but did not destroy the baby chicks that were for sale there. So that's a good thing I guess.

I am in the same situation exactly - but since I heard about this all my birds are locked up in the coop 24/7. I have a chlorox foot bath and a bottle of hand sanitizer at the door of the coop. No one comes on to my property without stepping through a foot bath. I've cancelled my gardener doing my back yard (where chicken coop is) because he could bring virus in on his equipment. I'm doing everything possible to protect my birds - I just hope it's enough.

I am in the same situation exactly - but since I heard about this all my birds are locked up in the coop 24/7. I have a chlorox foot bath and a bottle of hand sanitizer at the door of the coop. No one comes on to my property without stepping through a foot bath. I've cancelled my gardener doing my back yard (where chicken coop is) because he could bring virus in on his equipment. I'm doing everything possible to protect my birds - I just hope it's enough.
Can you tell me your process for the clorox foot bath--ratio of bleach to water and how you wash your shoes? I've thought about locking everyone up too. My pen is chain link so I have a lot of prepping to do first to keep all the wild birds out.

I actually emailed APHIS and asked if they could be more specific with regard to where the VND-positive birds were found - I asked if they could at least tell me the ZIP code or city. They replied that "to protect the privacy of the owners" they could not, but they did say all the cases were in "Southwestern San Bernardino County". So I am assuming Chino, Chino Hills, Montclair, Pomona (although technically Pomona is LA Co) should be very worried. My feed store in Pomona where I buy my horse feed has already been visited by CDFA - they dropped off papers with VND info for customers but did not destroy the baby chicks that were for sale there. So that's a good thing I guess.
Thank you so much for this information.

Back
Top Bottom