Warning for Poultry Hollow Hatchery Buyers

OK, I want to say this again.

**First, Mareks disease can NOT be diagnosed by vets. Vets will tell you it is mareks just to give you an answer since they are charging a lot of money to look at a chicken.

**Secondly, there are many strains of mareks that can affect  poultry.

**Thirdly and MOST important, our birds ARE vaccinated for mareks.

**Lastly, the state vet with the TN Dept of Agriculture was here last month February 2016 and we are disease free

So please before trying to hurt someone's business for a lack of YOUR knowledge, try to educate yourselves.

This is no better than Bullying or Bashing! Admins should close and delete this thread...

@poultryhollow
While this wouldn't help past customers, am I understanding this correctly that you are now saying that you currently vaccinate for Mareks...as in previous posts you said that you did not...?

I'm sure they have loyal clients, but it seems to me to be more negative than positive conversation except what Poultry Hollow posted.
There's only a handful of people in here that have an opinion about it, and my mind was made up from it. This is also not the first time I've read negative for PH, then on the other hand, I've read some really nice things about them. I just don't take that chance with my birds.

Dirty Irons,
Negative people are more likely to respond. When I first got into chickens I bought 10 HENS, (well, 8 of them were Roosters, I didn't know)! I sold all of them quickly, then I found Poultry Hollow Hatchery. I ordered 8 pullets of different breeds, from 12 -16 wks old. I met the driver, for the drop off. All the pullets were in great health. Did I lose any? Over the course of several years I lost a few birds. That's not Poultry Hollow's fault. When thieves broke-in and stole my flock, I went to PHH. I loved it and Judy. Yes, she is busy. Yes, she takes her time with each customer. And when you are "THAT" customer you appreciate that. I replaced my entire flock with pullets from PHH. 10 pullets to start, then another trip for more. One thing you have to remember tho', when you're getting baby chicks - you have to quarantine any new birds coming to your property - before you let them join your flock. Be Knowledgeable, Pass it on...

I feel like I'm still a beginner with poultry though I've been raising quail for about three years now. I bought my quail eggs from a well known online market place and incubated them with surprising success. 21 out of 24 eggs hatched and only one died. Had to put it down because it broke it's neck trying to get out of the shell. This year we decided to try our luck with chickens and again I went to the online market place for eggs. This time I was not as fortunate and only one egg hatched and it died shortly after hatching. The very next day we decided we were not going to go through the incubating process but would instead buy live chicks. I had seen Poultry Hollow online and we made the drive out that Sunday 9/30/17. I knew I wanted the BA's but also thought I'd like some of the Favs. They suggested that being new to chickens I should probably stick with the BA's. Only a suggestion. I bought six 2 week old chicks expecting some loss and possibly cockerels as my research told me so but 9 weeks later I ended up being one of the lucky ones. All pullets and all healthy. Here they are today at 11 weeks. Second picture is what they looked like at 2 weeks. Thank you Judy. We love our ladies.
IMG_1836.JPG

22195921_10210594990057646_7115149904326133458_n.jpg

I bought 6 different breed baby chicks from poultry Hollow, they are 12 weeks now and very beautiful and healthy birds. They were great and I love my chickens. I have bought birds from other places and lost some. But the ones I got from Poultry Hollow are doing great and planning on getting more from them

I got chicks from here and they are not the healthiest chickens I have had. None have been lost yet but It has only been a few months, One was sneezing as soon as I got it home, but the sneezing has stopped now, The feces though is runnier than should be in all the chickens and one of my silkies is very thin it acts ok, but that has me worried as I know chickens try and hide sickness. She claims over and over she is excellent at sexing the chickens and out of the 11 I got 8 are roosters, so either she is bad at sexing chickens or she pawned off a bunch of roosters on me intentionally. I have new chicks coming from cackles hatchery and I am building a new pen away from the poultry hollow chickens as I don't trust that they are healthy. I will update this in 3 months to see if any have been lost or are sick

It is as simple as numbers...

*We sell around 200,000 birds a year. Do some die? Of course! Do we always know why? No. But to say it is mareks or some other disease is way off base!

* We have less than a 1% loss! Mostly being within the first few days of hatching, just being picked on & of course predators.

*Our website clearly indicates we are a All Natural farm. So we do not vaccinate as most people these days don't want vaccines in their food source.

* NO other hatchery will vaccinate for mereks unless you specifically ask for it and pay the cost.

* If we kept sick birds we would not have any birds left. We could not stay in business if this was the case.

* We have thousands of customers and there are only 2 to 4 with these accusations???

*Chickens get stressed, sick, and die just like other animals if not properly taken care of. I could go on for pages of stories I know about the human errors in raising birds. People make mistakes and always want to point blame to someone else.

* The following is cut and pasted from this forum:
We bought chicks from Poultry Hollow last week, and I was very impressed. It was a REAL chicken farm. I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of people about chickens before purchasing. One of the things I have found is that no matter where you get your chicks some might die. I recently talked to a farmer who has an established flock who just hatched chicks, and some of them didn't make it -same with the ducks. It seems to me that it's just part of life in the animal world, as I've witnessed the same thing happen to kittens and fish even when you do ALL the right things. Knowledge and experience increase the chances of survivial and make for happier animals, but sometimes things still happen. It's upsetting when a chick dies, but loss is part of raising animals. People die, too, even with all our modern technology and sanitation. It amazes me how some people can get so nitpicky about the smallest of details when it comes to chickens. No, I'm not saying disease is a small detail, but if chickens were as finicky as people they would have gone extinct years ago. If an animal lover is obsessed with getting ALL the smallest details just perfect I suggest they raise fish. They will have plenti of time devoted to pH, temperature, chlorine, etc., levels because you can't be off even the slightest bit or you will have a disease outbreak. I want to raise my backyard flock just like a farmer would, not like a diehard enthusiastic super human hen. I'm going to implement the same philosophy I do with my human children. My children are happy healthy individuals who don't need the latest iphone and don't eat everything organic. Heaven forbid I give them a little soda. No soccer mom here, just happy healthy children. Same goes with chickens (don't worry, I won't give them soda). I want to take care of them, give them what they need, and enjoy them and their eggs without having to stress myself out with every little perfectionistic detail. That is why I went to Poultry Hollow. They have healthy happy chickens raised just like my local small town farmers raise theirs (only on a much larger scale). No, they don't have the latest state of the art buildings with white painted walls, tiled floor, and hospitally sanitized chicken coops. And guess what? It smells like... you guessed it...chickens! Their animals are so happy and quite beautiful, and if you don't believe me, go see for yourself. You will have a lot of very happy dogs (eager to play fetch), donkeys, chickens, goats, and turkeys all wanting your attention.
This is really misleading. What about the pictures on google review of your farm with literally dead birds in pens?

I’m sorry that happened to you. I was looking to purchase a Buff Brahma hen to replace mine that suddenly passed today. She was my little son’s chicken and family favorite and I don’t have the heart to tell him. Anyway, I was going to go there tomorrow to pick a few up but before doing so I decided to read the 1 star reviews. They are current. And they include pictures and horrible stories including customers being bit by her dog. So my search continues and will obviously stay away from that place. Maybe leaving a google review as well telling your experience would make others think twice going there.

Back
Top Bottom