Was I bamboozled by a TS employee?

Ok thanks any suggestions on brands to switch too. Should I cut back on the corn and scratch to every couple of days or once a week. They like the dumor and they've been on it since day one and I can afford it which is a big thing too Thanks again for the help

If your chickens like Dumor, and you do too, than keep feeding it. If you feed layer than don't feed extras. Otherwise switch to a higher protein one. I'm not familiar with all of Dumor products so I can't suggest one. To optimize laying your hens need 16% protein minimum daily which most layer rations are. Corn is only 8%, feed too much without feeding a higher protein and your chickens will become deficient and start having troubles.

@j23cuevas Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have read bad things about Dumor, but if you've been using it since day one...
hu.gif
I did a quick byc search and looks like Dumor might actually be made by purina as well. However I will say that even though 1 company sells products under a different name they usually are also slightly different in ingredients or formulations. All commercial product should be formulated to about the same percentages for the counterparts, as they are made to meet the nutritional needs of animals in captivity.

I don't understand why people are always so ready to feed their chickens scratch and corn. When I looked at it was about the same price as my regular feed.

I don't know how cold your nights get, but corn digests hot. So it might be nice evening snack when you're expecting very low temps. But guessing you get pretty hot during the summer in Texas. At that time, I would completely avoid corn. Meal worms are a favorite, and live are nutritious enough. Raising them is quite easy and a little fun.

I like to give my flock a higher protein at 20%. I use Purina Flock Raiser because it is what's available to me. It is lower in calcium than layer which is what I prefer to meet the need of my mixed age and gender flock. I offer oyster shell on the side (and egg shells). I never use grit because my birds have access to the ground and therefor I don't believe they need it.

Also I recommend fermenting feed if you have time. Check the link in my signature line for some quick facts if you like.
smile.png

I only do the corn and scratch in winter heard it helps keep engery up when it's cold since the engery goes to making eggs and trying to stay warm.

I use scratch to give chickens something to do and for them to be able to do a natural behavior like scratching and pecking especially in winter when they might not get as much exercise. I also use it to get a good look at the flock daily. My chickens are always excited for their scratch which is basically cracked corn and boss. So I use for mental and physical stimulation for the chickens and for me I just enjoy it.

I would like to know where the theory about corn providing more "heat" than a prepared blended food. A calorie is a calorie, no matter the source. As I understand it, fat content may play a role, as it is high in calories and usually slower to be digested, thus perhaps "staying in the system" longer. But, calorie for calorie, either feed or corn should provide a similar amount of "heat". I would love for someone to provide some actual documentation regarding the theory that "corn is superior for providing heat". From the reading I've done, fat content of corn closely matches that of layer pellets, and layer pellets often have corn as their main ingredient. So, let's see a study that supports the corn and winter heat statements.

As for Dumour compared to other brands, if Dumour is what the wallet will tolerate, then, Dumour is what the flock will eat. I readily switch back and forth between 2 local feed stores, buying which ever feed happens to be cheaper or fitting into my travel plans. I prefer the competing brand, but, my wallet makes the purchasing decisions, and my birds happily eat either brand. By far, the most important purchasing decision is driven by the mill date on the feed bag. If the feed is not fresh, I refuse to buy it, no matter who makes it.

Last edited:
I would like to know where the theory about corn providing more "heat" than a prepared blended food. A calorie is a calorie, no matter the source. As I understand it, fat content may play a role, as it is high in calories and usually slower to be digested, thus perhaps "staying in the system" longer. But, calorie for calorie, either feed or corn should provide a similar amount of "heat". I would love for someone to provide some actual documentation regarding the theory that "corn is superior for providing heat". From the reading I've done, fat content of corn closely matches that of layer pellets, and layer pellets often have corn as their main ingredient. So, let's see a study that supports the corn and winter heat statements.
Just another widely cited (was guilty of it myself for a time), but inaccurate 'rule'....
..and it's kind of funny as most feed formulations are mostly corn anyway.
Digestion is digestion and it all produces 'heat'(calories to burn).
My birds pack their crops before roost time.....with their regular feed.

My understanding is corn is more complex and requires longer digestion time so it creates more internal heat. Being an old farmer I tend to believe there's something behind the old way of doing things.

As for Dumour compared to other brands, if Dumour is what the wallet will tolerate, then, Dumour is what the flock will eat. I readily switch back and forth between 2 local feed stores, buying which ever feed happens to be cheaper or fitting into my travel plans. I prefer the competing brand, but, my wallet makes the purchasing decisions, and my birds happily eat either brand. By far, the most important purchasing decision is driven by the mill date on the feed bag. If the feed is not fresh, I refuse to buy it, no matter who makes it.

I have to be honest, I was wondering that AS I posted it!
hide.gif
Because if that's true so many peoples' chickens will be stroking out during the heat, as I noted the Texas heat he might have.
hu.gif

Just another widely cited (was guilty of it myself for a time), but inaccurate 'rule'....
..and it's kind of funny as most feed formulations are mostly corn anyway.
Digestion is digestion and it all produces 'heat'(calories to burn).
My birds pack their crops before roost time.....with their regular feed.

Also, if I was going to think it.... I would think it would be corn digesting fast from the carb content that would increase warmth, but that fat digesting slower would keep you warmer longer.

Again though, most feeds ARE corn, so.... couldn't reason it out in my head.

Thanks for calling me out so I can settle that up and quit spreading it!
highfive.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom