Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Random post for the day. Anyone else get a kick out of watching their chickens run? They crack me up! They kind of remind me of little dinosaurs, like a t-rex/valasaraptor mix (sorry, I'm sure I spelled that all wrong). But anyway, I love it!!
toss a little goodie out and watch a game of chicken football!!!
lau.gif

I can chuckle about your situation because for weeks DH and I were absolutely positive that Latte was bantam. Probably drove the Chicken Rustler crazy over it!
hide.gif
Then, when we saw what a bantam really looked like, we realized she was definitely LF. Her 3 brothers were just REALLY big.
Not to worry that drive would not take long. !!!

Does that happen very early on? In the first hatch, I had 1 of 5 that didn't hatch. In the 2nd hatch I had 4 of 12 that didn't hatch. I cracked all of them a few days after everyone hatched and all of them looked like eggs you'd crack to eat. No signs of growth or veins or anything like that.

if there is no signs of veins or anything then your eggs weren't fertile. If an egg stops developing early on there are veins in it it just stops... With my experience on it I had all of them start to develop then almost half stopped about day 3 to 5 and that hatch was 4 girls and 12 boys that actually hatched. The incubator was running high at 101. The next hatch (eggs from the same rooster and hens) i hatched 30 out of 35 hatch (5 weren't fertile) and had 12 boys again and 18 pullets
Same experience each time the temp was to high the first 5 days almost no pullets but same amount of roosters as normal hatched. But the temp low i had great hatch rates and ended up with more pullets.
Hope the numbers help you understand what I am explaining on it. This is just based on my experience. I started doing the low temps (99.5) because I read somewhere that it gave you more/all pullets. Then i had a notebook i kept track of it in. At the time I was doing daycare and it was the summer long kids experment. Every 3 weeks we'd refill the incubator and start again to keep track at the end of summer we sat down did the numbers. the kids i was babysitting were 5 and under, my older nieces joined in it though and they got a lot out of it i think.

But yeah anytime you crack an egg open out of the incubator after day 5 and it looks just like an egg you'd eat it's not fertile.

about meet-ups....

up here in the northend we have found that it's nearly impossible to get a date and time for that works for everyone so we just casually make arrangements

the one tonight was never meant to be an actual meet-up

a couple of us were getting together for dinner as friends and I thought Hey! let's post it on byc and see if anyone else can make it

so my advice (which is worth what you're paying for it
smile.png
) is if you want to get together with someone, just set a date and time and go for it

life is short, ya know....do it now!

Ok so this might sound silly. But I have a promise to keep to my lone hen. I promised this hen that if she survived the winter, I would get her a new flock to raise.

So does anyone have any barn yard bantam mix's coming available early spring? I'm only looking for three or four.

Okay weird question but i am wondering this summer if i manage to hatch any muscovy ducklings if anyone is going to be interested in them? Was going to try to sell them $5 each and large numbers of ducklings would do a deal on.... All I find them for on craigslist is $10 for a new hatched duckling and $30 each for adult muscovies. I am just wanting to hatch some and help people get these ducks if they want them. They are so much fun to watch and are WAY quieter then the chickens. I told my neighbors behind me and next door that i have ducks and they couldn't believe it because they only hear the chickens.

:hugs Hey girly nice ya could find yer way back to the coop ! ! !

Yeah I know bad me. :oops:

But life is busy, with animals, kids, job, maintenance, and other projects.

Blah! Im so over it all, and ready for a break. No. Not so much a break, just more time.
Soon though. Very soon, our days wont be quite so short! :)

Ugg... Ok I have to run AGAIN. But CR I promise to come back to the coop! And If I don't. Well you know how to find me! lol And your always welcome to drag my butt right back here!

But now I have to go to work. Blah. At least it isn't raining!

Back
Top Bottom