Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

We met up with Lutefisk at Top Foods & then DH dragged me all over the county......................feed store, home depot, then Cabela's then Grays Harbor Co, Mom & Dad's, then pizza for lunch, then the other feed store, then we had to haul home to meet up with another chick buyer and a few egg buyers......sorry we did not get to stop by !
sad.png
BUSY BUSY BUSY !!!!!
Hello chickilady. I see you have chicks and eggs for sale? I am looking for grown hens in the Washingrton area. Preferably Vancouver/Portland. Looking for Cochins or similar banty hens to even the score with my flock this year. Have equal male/female ratio. Do you know or can yoiu recommend anyonewho sells adult birds? I don't know where to find them. All I am findig is eggs and day olds. Thank you for your time. Theresa

Stinking Coyotes - yipping and howling going up and down the hill in front of my house, probably trying to lure out one of my dogs to eat as they are barking insanely in response; but they are not nearly as loud as the coyotes. Dogs are safely in their enclosure with the chickens between them and the coyotes. Chickens, even the roosters are silent! They are safe in their strong coops, but I am sure they can overhear it all. Funny - I walked to my office and flipped on my light since I can't sleep with all the noise and the coyotes went silent and headed back down the hill. I hate coyotes. Much rather hear an elk bugle, though they are loud enough to wake me as well.

I used to love coyotes, but then the ones in my neighborhood stopped eating rodents and bunnies and started concentrating on pets and petfood and garbage, and I became disenchanted.

Sorry to butt in ;) My parents retired to Northport (from Oregon) its just a little north of Colville and my aunt retired to Kettle Falls and they all love it soooo much. Its beautiful up there!
Ogress, I hope your birds are doing better, I read on a later post that the disease is going through your flock - that stinks.
hit.gif
I am not familiar with Oxine but have read that others use it and love it. Another product I keep saying I need to check out! You also might also want to consider adding vitamins and electrolytes to their water a few days a week. Just trying to think of things I did... I am certainly not an expert. I know when my flock was sick I was looking for any and all recommendations - you can always weed out what doesn't sound reasonable to you. This might keep the non-symptomatic birds from getting sick. Yes, I think it was South Bend. LOL... 30 years ago was a long time ago! I would be surprised if anyone on here knows where Cathlamet is! We are looking at the Colville/Kettle Falls area in Stevens County for retirement. Another area full of small towns that many folks have never heard of.
wee.gif
I am working on coming around to full circle.

Last edited:
Sorry to butt in
wink.png
My parents retired to Northport (from Oregon) its just a little north of Colville and my aunt retired to Kettle Falls and they all love it soooo much. Its beautiful up there!
I am so happy to hear that!!!! We have actually looked at Northport too! We had told the realtor we wanted to see a few places that were "remote" not realizing that up there remote means you really CAN see the end of the earth! LOL It is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to move, it will be a few years but we are planners and have been looking at real estate for over a year.

Hi all!
I'm from Centerville, Washington if anyone knows where that is. I have 27 egg chickens and 23 broilers.

We have a 10yo lab/pointer/weim mix we adopted from a rescue. He was a trained bird dog at one point. It's been challenging. Whenever we think his behavior is unacceptable, I put him on a 4ft lead attached to me, and go about my business. He'll shiver and twitch when I go in the chicken range area or in the chick pen, but so far, so good. Then he's good for a while; then he starts trying to lunge through the fence, or 'pointing' out birds, and we start again. He'll never make a LSGaurdian but, I'm pretty sure he isn't going to eat anyone without feeling really really guilty! LOL

I've been trying something similar. I tie her nearby. She can't even stand near the pen without lunging at them. Apparently desensitizing might be the best way to fix this. I'm glad someone else thinks so too

Hey all :frow  I'm in the Skagit Valley.  I was looking for a "current" WA thread.  I've only read a few pages back.  Interesting stuff.  Anyone out there have turkeys and ducks also? 

I have ducks on the way, and although I don't own a turkey, our Turkey doesn't believe me when I say that. We have a wild Turkey who hangs out right next to our chicken coop all day, every day. When I put them up he leaves. When I go to let them out in the morning, he stares at me and waits patiently. I've even started scattering scratch for him Hah

I do a lot of dog training. For a dog with a strong small-animal prey drive, I don't think you can ever really trust them. But you can have reasonable success with positive reinforcement. One of my pups is a terrier through and through, which means she wants to chase other small animals that scamper across her path (which is why my chickens will be fully fenced away from the dogs). It would be unreasonable for me to try to change her nature, but I have helped her impulse control. With her on leash we will approach an animal in the distance and when she sees it, I call her name, click the clicker (to mark her good behavior, which is looking at me and not the animal) and then I immediately reward with something tasty. Slowly work up to making the game harder, by getting closer to the animals, constantly building on success.

If you keep them leashed on you and keep some cookies in your pocket whenever you deal with the chickens, you'll be ready to reward them when they make good choices. It is all about choices, after all. If they are so engrossed into the animal that they don't "hear" you, you are too close. Get some more distance and try again.

Hope that helps some.

Last edited:
This page needs some decoration.

Blue Quail Barbu d'Anvers pullet hatched with help May 23, Splash Quail cockerel hatched out of the tiniest of all the eggs May 19th.

Back
Top Bottom