Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote: I have fought the game in the dog world since Mose's was young
we had chickens growing up white leghorns and red birds but they all had
fairly large white or brown eggs.. every spring Mom bought youngsters to
raise for dinner we would butcher them in the fall put them in the freezer
our own birds gave us chick's to raise old ones became soup as they got old

I did want to tell chickielady she needed to be careful something about a case of rabies from a bat here in Lewis county
saw outside flying around our trees tonight first time

Last edited:
Quote:
Well we know what breed a Rock is so there really isn't confusion there.

Want to get into angry people and insistence that the hatchery/feed store is correct? Look at the EE (americana or whatever each one calls them) - Ameraucana and Araucana issue. When my mom was a kid back in the 50s and 60s, Grandma had got hatchery Araucana. They laid nice blue/green eggs. Color was pretty consistent between birds. Mom says they looked nothing like the hatchery birds I have now. The modern hatchery EEs I have are wonderful girls for eggs. Much better than my ameraucana. Even at 5 years old, I'm still getting about 3 eggs a week from each of them (that isn't broody).

WE WANT OUT !!! @CarolynF

Oh My! These aren't what I expected when you mentioned Silver. I thought they'd be a solid color, but I really like this... would you call it "lacing"?
Thank you for posting these pictures. Is this variety created by breading just AMs together, or does it require bringing in traits from other breeds? The genetics of something like this are fascinating.

Well we know what breed a Rock is so there really isn't confusion there.

Want to get into angry people and insistence that the hatchery/feed store is correct? Look at the EE (americana or whatever each one calls them) - Ameraucana and Araucana issue. When my mom was a kid back in the 50s and 60s, Grandma had got hatchery Araucana. They laid nice blue/green eggs. Color was pretty consistent between birds. Mom says they looked nothing like the hatchery birds I have now. The modern hatchery EEs I have are wonderful girls for eggs. Much better than my ameraucana. Even at 5 years old, I'm still getting about 3 eggs a week from each of them (that isn't broody).

That one drives me SO Nuts! And I've had people jump down my throat for calling out people that are selling the most obvious EEs as pure Ameraucanas. My latest Peeve is people using the word "Maran" without an "S". And it it's really crazy how so many people seem to insist that spelling it wrong is just fine. I'll bet they'd get totally ****** if someone kept dropping the last letter of their name, or better yet dropping the last digit on their hourly wage.
gig.gif

Yeah, the whole Easter egg her and Americana thing took me a little bit to figure out also. I didn't know that marans needed an S at the end, I thought they S just made it plural. Learn something new every day. I can at least pronounce and almost spell each breed of chicken that I own anyway.
I think they heat took my chickens by surprise yesterday, I only got three eggs where I had been getting up to nine a day now that the younger ones are laying. Hopefully they'll get back in gear. It's going to be hot here all week, yuck.

That one drives me SO Nuts! And I've had people jump down my throat for calling out people that are selling the most obvious EEs as pure Ameraucanas. My latest Peeve is people using the word "Maran" without an "S". And it it's really crazy how so many people seem to insist that spelling it wrong is just fine. I'll bet they'd get totally ****** if someone kept dropping the last letter of their name, or better yet dropping the last digit on their hourly wage.
gig.gif
Right! The Maran/s thing! It's French, people.
I also don't understand why people think that Easter Eggers are Ameraucana or Araucana mixes. Um, no. For that to be true, hatcheries would have to have had true Ameraucana or Araucana at some point, and they never have. Or the whole 'Ameraucana were derived from Araucana,' thing. Again, no. For some reason, people can not grasp the concept that prior to the 1970s, there were no Ameraucana, Araucana, Easter Egger distinctions. They were all just called Araucana, and they all fell into the category of 'Easter Egger' by today's definitions.

I know I've been more miss than hit recently but we're in the process of moving my father into assisted living, plus we are also moving from the Olympia area to the Hillsboro, OR area. So, life has been pretty hectic around here.

I do have a question in need of some answers. My EE, Mabel, has a spot/pimple/cyst on her foot. My daughter said soaking it in Epsom Salt might help her. After doing that do I bandage it? Lance it and squeeze the pus out? Soak it and leave it alone? It even looks a little bit bigger than when that picture was taken. Thanks so much for your help. I greatly appreciate it (and I'm sure Mabel does, too...after the treatment is finished.)

P.S. That spot feels hard, not soft, when pressed upon or squeezed.

Last edited:
I know I've been more miss than hit recently but we're in the process of moving my father into assisted living, plus we are also moving from the Olympia area to the Hillsboro, OR area. So, life has been pretty hectic around here.

I do have a question in need of some answers. My EE, Mabel, has a spot/pimple/cyst on her foot. My daughter said soaking it in Epsom Salt might help her. After doing that do I bandage it? Lance it and squeeze the pus out? Soak it and leave it alone? It even looks a little bit bigger than when that picture was taken. Thanks so much for your help. I greatly appreciate it (and I'm sure Mabel does, too...after the treatment is finished.)

P.S. That spot feels hard, not soft, when pressed upon or squeezed.

Is that bumblefoot? I've always seen pics of bumblefoot with the lesion on the bottom of the foot... but other than the exact site this looks like bumblefoot. Do a search here for bumblefoot and you should get lots of hits on how to treat it.

Back
Top Bottom