water heaters-need pics

packmomma

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Argos, IN
I"ve heard and seen the tin water heaters..I cant make that..but what is this cinder block heater?? I already have mine on a half concrete block to raise it up higher but what do you put on the bottom..wouldnt the shavings catch fire?? I have a metal galvanized one from TSC you know the ones we all hate..the chickens love it and I cant afford to buy another. Does anyone have a picture of the concrete block heater? Also I heard there is a heated base that is sold at TSC?? not sure what that is but I want a cheap way to heat that waterer I already have that is inside without causing a fire. I cant use those heated dog bowls cause my chickens are freaks and would roost on the side, poop in there and fill it with wood shavings.

Are you referring to my post of the other day where I mentioned a cinder block? Just put a drop light (shop light on end of cord) or some other light fixture that will fit into the hole of a concrete building block. Use a 40 or 60 watt bulb for heat. Cover with a piece of tin, aluminum, steel, whatever you have laying around and you can set a plastic waterer on top. If you have metal waterers just set them directly on the block.

I dont' have an answer to your cinder block question, but here's a thread I created last year about my husband's insulated/heated water box. It worked GREAT all last winter here in Northern Maine with night time temps sometimes at 40 below zero. Some frozen waterfalls from overflowed/splashed water and occasionally some ice on the top of the drinking bowl that was easily removed. The bulb kept the water jug warm enough that we never had a frozen bottle- and always a thawed spare in the box. It was VERY nice!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=106303

Quote:

Last edited:
mac in abilene i think it was your post. I was just wondering what you put on the bottom. My block sits on wood shavings. My plan was to put a fire brick under the bottom then the light inside and just sit the waterer on top. Is the tin really nessesary under the waterer? Mine is the metal one. It helps to know what watt bulb too so thanks.

I mentioned on the other threads that in my setup (Metal waterer, on cinder blocks like yours), I have an oil pan heater on the bottom of the waterer attached with RTV silicone.

I have it on a timer when the weather gets cold enough to freeze the water. Works like a charm.

$15.

I use a cement chimney block, the whole center is open and the 5gal metal waterer completly covers the opening. Place the block on the floor of the coop (remove bedding from inside and around block) place light with shield around bulb inside block (light bulb facing up, shield will keep light upright) place waterer on top. I use a 60 watt bulb.

I love these ideas because I've been trying to figure out how to keep the water thawed during the winter.

My stupid question of the day is...

The chickens don't bite/peck the light cord coming from the wall to the light inside of the block?

Quote:
I use the deep litter method so the cord is under 6-8in of bedding. The cord goes through the wall at floor level to an outlet in my feed storage area. You can also lay a thin piece of plywood over it and cover with whatever you are using for bedding.

Back
Top Bottom