Waterfowl for Meat Production Thread - Ducks, Geese, and Muscovies

I just got back from the grocery store and noticed they had frozen geese (less than a year old) at $67 for an 11 pound bird. A 6 pound frozen duck was $21.

I had already started thinking about raising ducks and geese for meat, but now I'm gonna get real serious about doing my research. I have plenty of room, outbuilding,etc. Just need to come up with a cost effective plan. So I'm gonna be lurking around this thread to get tips, and will share my successes and failures.
caf.gif

I just got back from the grocery store and noticed they had frozen geese (less than a year old) at $67 for an 11 pound bird. A 6 pound frozen duck was $21.

I had already started thinking about raising ducks and geese for meat, but now I'm gonna get real serious about doing my research. I have plenty of room, outbuilding,etc. Just need to come up with a cost effective plan. So I'm gonna be lurking around this thread to get tips, and will share my successes and failures.
caf.gif
I would recommend starting with a small order from Metzer's. In particular, their Grimaud Hybrid Pekins just to start with and then whatever medium or heavy breed of goose appeals to you. The Pilgrim, American Buff, and Sebastopol typically have the best temperaments. Sebastopols are expensive though, so you might scratch them off your list if you're looking for cost effective options.

Geese are actually cheaper to raise out than chickens if you have access to pasture for them. They can get the majority of their diet from grass and weeds - something in the vicinity of 80%. I only provide feed for mine 1x a day and they usually have food leftover 12 hours later.

Here are my Buffs out in the snow last week:

I would recommend starting with a small order from Metzer's. In particular, their Grimaud Hybrid Pekins just to start with and then whatever medium or heavy breed of goose appeals to you. The Pilgrim, American Buff, and Sebastopol typically have the best temperaments. Sebastopols are expensive though, so you might scratch them off your list if you're looking for cost effective options.

Geese are actually cheaper to raise out than chickens if you have access to pasture for them. They can get the majority of their diet from grass and weeds - something in the vicinity of 80%. I only provide feed for mine 1x a day and they usually have food leftover 12 hours later.

Here are my Buffs out in the snow last week:

Beautiful geese!
love.gif

Lovely Geese! I have already reserved a few Americans and some Welsh H, just waiting to hear when I can pick them up. Temperament is important since I have grand-kids at the farm. Both will grow relatively fast and have good meat, so I'm kinda middle-of-the-road about breeds until I've had a year of raising a few flocks. Have a lot of work to do on fencing if I will be raising meat birds for sale. Organic, too!
big_smile.png

Lovely Geese!  I have already reserved a few Americans and some Welsh H, just waiting to hear when I can pick them up. Temperament is important since I have grand-kids at the farm.  Both will grow relatively fast and have good meat, so I'm kinda middle-of-the-road about breeds until I've had a year of raising a few flocks.  Have a lot of work to do on fencing if I will be raising meat birds for sale. Organic, too!:D

Awesome choices, if I do say so myself!

hi, i hunt birds...so i do have some experience besides owning 3 ducks of my own with my flock of chooks. The youtube account called " 50 DUCKS IN A HOT TUB" raises literally over 100 plus ducks of varying breeds from muscovies to pekins to rouens and goes through the butchering process and daily life. I plan on buying a bundle of waterfowl this year as well more for egg production and plan on culling and eating the extra drakes. You cant find duck meat in texas unless you go to a asian supermarket and even then its already cooked. I unfortunately am allergic to soy so go figure lol I've decided to grow out my own and give it a try. Besides raising meat chickens im hoping i get a good yield from these ducks.

hi, i hunt birds...so i do have some experience besides owning 3 ducks of my own with my flock of chooks. The youtube account called " 50 DUCKS IN A HOT TUB" raises literally over 100 plus ducks of varying breeds from muscovies to pekins to rouens and goes through the butchering process and daily life. I plan on buying a bundle of waterfowl this year as well more for egg production and plan on culling and eating the extra drakes. You cant find duck meat in texas unless you go to a asian supermarket and even then its already cooked. I unfortunately am allergic to soy so go figure lol I've decided to grow out my own and give it a try. Besides raising meat chickens im hoping i get a good yield from these ducks.
Welcome to the thread! It's surprisingly hard to find waterfowl meat in stores, which is a shame because it's so tasty and everyone should try it.

I setup the "nestbox" for the geese today. They started breeding so eggs should start showing up in about 2 weeks. For the most part I'm planning on not incubating any eggs myself and instead just letting all 4 of my females sit their own eggs. If any of my large fowl chickens go broody I will give them 2-3 eggs as well.

On the duck front, my Welsh Harlequins were all killed by foxes and I have to start all over. I ordered some Silver Appleyards for me plus a few female Runners for my daughter.

I setup the "nestbox" for the geese today. They started breeding so eggs should start showing up in about 2 weeks. For the most part I'm planning on not incubating any eggs myself and instead just letting all 4 of my females sit their own eggs. If any of my large fowl chickens go broody I will give them 2-3 eggs as well.

On the duck front, my Welsh Harlequins were all killed by foxes and I have to start all over. I ordered some Silver Appleyards for me plus a few female Runners for my daughter.

Oh, no! My condolences on the loss of your WH - foxes can be really tough on flocks.
sad.png

That's exciting that you expect eggs soon and will hopefully have goslings soon afterward!
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom