Waterfowl for Meat Production Thread - Ducks, Geese, and Muscovies

Oh, no! My condolences on the loss of your WH - foxes can be really tough on flocks.
sad.png

That's exciting that you expect eggs soon and will hopefully have goslings soon afterward!
pop.gif
Thanks. The pair we had here seemed to be particularly fond of ducks. We managed to catch one in our live trap, but haven't been able to catch it's mate yet.

I'd like to try to resurrect this thread. I butcher my extra drakes for the freezer (Pekin runner crosses) and am seriously thinking of getting geese this spring. Haven't decided on a breed but the parents would be pets/yard ornaments and the idea would be to butcher any offspring. Does anyone do this and want to talk about it?

My concerns are 1) I've read that geese will mourn the loss of a member of the group. Is that true? 2) I'm not sure how I would kill a goose, I use the broomstick method for chickens and ducks and don't think I have the upper body strength to kill a goose this way

they do more in the loss of the other because they're very attached to the other geese if they are raised with. I love them cuz they grow really fast and they actually or more social with you and become very attached with you as well. Recently I did have a goose named daffodil she was nuts. She was nothing like the two geese I had before her which unfortunately got eaten by Coyotes when I would drive up to my house they would follow the car talking to me buy for waterfowl are my favorite and the cutest and I love that they grow so fast

I setup the "nestbox" for the geese today. They started breeding so eggs should start showing up in about 2 weeks. For the most part I'm planning on not incubating any eggs myself and instead just letting all 4 of my females sit their own eggs. If any of my large fowl chickens go broody I will give them 2-3 eggs as well.

On the duck front, my Welsh Harlequins were all killed by foxes and I have to start all over. I ordered some Silver Appleyards for me plus a few female Runners for my daughter.
the Ducks will not sit on their eggs and hatch them I can't figure out why any clues

they are Cayuga and peking, I didn't think about them going broody. They are 1 year old . When would they go broody?
Whenever their hormones tell them to which could be tomorrow or it could be never. Early summer is a common time for fowl to go broody, so I would expect it to happen around then if it's going to happen at all.

Bramblefir, I am really sorry to hear about your WHs getting foxed.
hit.gif
Our biggest concern here is packs of ravaging, destroying coons, and coyotes. BIG coyotes. I have reinforced my chicken coop and will also do a heavy-duty build on my duck and goose houses. But I must say, a determined pack of raccoons can do an awesome amount of damage including turning over a small shed if it isn't heavy enough or staked down.
somad.gif
We use the SSS method of predator control. The raptors are no problem, my chickens and ducks have plenty of shelter and I have never lost a chicken to a hawk. But there's always a first time. Of course the owls get anything that perches in trees overnight.
hide.gif

I started this tread over on the goose page but think i might have better luck here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1159247/toddlers-geese#post_18217927

Basically how much do I have to make pets out of my (meat) geese?

I'm replying from my phone while entertaining a busy toddler, so excuse any typos etc.

Typically people who make pets out of geese raise only 1 and keep it inside as it grows so it imprints on people and thinks they are its flock.

When you have more than 1 goose they will prefer being with each other rather than humans.

Kids and geese just don't mix when you have breeding geese. The ganders get too protective and aren't intimidated by little humans. Their bravery decreases in direct proportion to the size of their enemy although they will try to mess with adults if they think they can get away with it.

I would recommend penning your geese up when they start breeding and raising young. Even a simple 3ft net fence will do the trick. Kids and toddlers can help care for the geese by filling a bucket with grass and weeds for them to eat.

I've only had my oldest (7 years) be attacked once. The gander snuck up behind her and threw himself against her legs. She was surprised but uninjured. If she'd been smaller she would have been knocked to the ground.

Back
Top Bottom