Waterfowl for Meat Production Thread - Ducks, Geese, and Muscovies

I currently have 3 goose eggs under a bloody English Orpington that will be hatching very soon. One was pulled this morning and the other 2 are rustling around inside their shells.

2 of my 4 female geese are setting on roughly 16 eggs each. The other girls are still building their clutches.

I raise Ancona ducks. I chose them because they're decent for both meat and eggs. Working on getting my birds bigger, faster. I have a stream running through our yard, and the ducks free range without wrecking the garden too much. They work really well for our property, and we all love to eat roast duck!
I raised a little group of geese a couple years ago, we're eating the last one for Easter, in fact. The problem I ran into was geese bothering my toddler and not enough fencing to contain them. So they moved next door to my parents'sheep pasture and we split the group after butchering. I really like geese to have and to eat, but i shouldn't get any until these management issues are resolved. I keep telling this to myself
1f603.png

I raise Ancona ducks. I chose them because they're decent for both meat and eggs. Working on getting my birds bigger, faster. I have a stream running through our yard, and the ducks free range without wrecking the garden too much. They work really well for our property, and we all love to eat roast duck!
I raised a little group of geese a couple years ago, we're eating the last one for Easter, in fact. The problem I ran into was geese bothering my toddler and not enough fencing to contain them. So they moved next door to my parents'sheep pasture and we split the group after butchering. I really like geese to have and to eat, but i shouldn't get any until these management issues are resolved. I keep telling this to myself
1f603.png
We kept a pair of Anconas for a bit over a year before a fox had them for dinner. Ours were excellent layers, but hadn't been selected for meat qualities and were small. The quickest way to pull up size is to hatch lots of offspring, weigh at your desired age (12 weeks, for example), and cull out the smallest 50%. Each gender is weighed and culled separately. You can then go on to cull the remaining for finer points as they age.

With geese I really think that management is key to a pleasant experience. Once that's in order they are easy, healthy, tasty birds to raise.

How'd you pluck the goose? I had a pretty miserable time on my white Chinese gander. Dray aged and used a plucker head on an electric motor. Didn't work. Definitely scalding with dish soap next time...

How'd you pluck the goose? I had a pretty miserable time on my white Chinese gander. Dray aged and used a plucker head on an electric motor. Didn't work. Definitely scalding with dish soap next time...
In my case, I actually skinned it because I was in a hurry that day. When I plucked the ducks I only had issues with the tiny down feathers; the outer feathers came right off after scalding with dish soap. Plucking wax is recommended if you have a larger number to process.

I'm thrilled to have found this thread! Hubby and I are quasi-homesteaders and are raising a few meat chickens, but with our small creek and marshy area, I've wanted water fowl. I like duck, but hubby tried store bought duck and thought it was too greasy. I've tried convincing him that home raised duck is different!

Is there a breed that anyone prefers? I honestly don't know much about duck breeds.

I'm thrilled to have found this thread! Hubby and I are quasi-homesteaders and are raising a few meat chickens, but with our small creek and marshy area, I've wanted water fowl. I like duck, but hubby tried store bought duck and thought it was too greasy. I've tried convincing him that home raised duck is different!

Is there a breed that anyone prefers? I honestly don't know much about duck breeds.

I would recommend reading the breed profiles on the Livestock Conservancy first. Do you want a breed that produces more meat than eggs or more eggs than meat? Do you want the ducks go to broody? Fly? How much do you want them to forage?

I have raised Anconas, Welsh Harlequin, and a Pekin hybrid. The Anconas and WH were very good layers. My WH were larger than my Anconas. The Pekins were just for meat and I didn't raise any out to laying age.

I have Silver Appleyards coming next week to try out.

I would recommend reading the breed profiles on the Livestock Conservancy first. Do you want a breed that produces more meat than eggs or more eggs than meat? Do you want the ducks go to broody? Fly? How much do you want them to forage?

I have raised Anconas, Welsh Harlequin, and a Pekin hybrid. The Anconas and WH were very good layers. My WH were larger than my Anconas. The Pekins were just for meat and I didn't raise any out to laying age.

I have Silver Appleyards coming next week to try out.

Well obviously since this thread is about raising for meat, that's my interest. It's what drew me in. I see people with them for eggs or fun, but hadn't seen a meat thread. I don't care if they go broody, I have an incubator. Sure, some eggs would be nice. I've never eaten duck eggs before. I've heard they are richer. But really, I'd like to start with an emphasis on ducks that are better for table.

Well obviously since this thread is about raising for meat, that's my interest. It's what drew me in. I see people with them for eggs or fun, but hadn't seen a meat thread. I don't care if they go broody, I have an incubator. Sure, some eggs would be nice. I've never eaten duck eggs before. I've heard they are richer. But really, I'd like to start with an emphasis on ducks that are better for table.
Awesome! I would say to take a close at the heavy breeds: Appleyard, Saxony, Pekin, and Rouen. You should also consider Muscovy, which taste beefy (your husband might like them better). Lastly, you could look at the medium breeds: Buff, Cayuga, and Swedish. I think the light breeds might disappoint you in regards to size. Other than that, basically just pick a breed that you enjoy and would like to look at every day. You can, of course, have a mixed flock as well to try out various breeds.

Awesome! I would say to take a close at the heavy breeds: Appleyard, Saxony, Pekin, and Rouen. You should also consider Muscovy, which taste beefy (your husband might like them better). Lastly, you could look at the medium breeds: Buff, Cayuga, and Swedish. I think the light breeds might disappoint you in regards to size. Other than that, basically just pick a breed that you enjoy and would like to look at every day. You can, of course, have a mixed flock as well to try out various breeds.

Great! Thanks for that info. I'll check out the link you provided and definitely give those breeds an extra look. I've heard the Pekin, Rouen, Muscovy, and Cayuga names a lot, so I'm guessing they must be more popular or common.

Back
Top Bottom