Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Do you guys ever wake up with 3 dogs crammed against you in bed & a cat laying ON TOP of you & think, "Things are really starting to get outta hand." :rolleyes:
Um, no... Dog and cat are not allowed in our bedroom. They're lucky they even get to come in the house. (I don't mind them, but DH was raised on a farm where "animals belong outside").

Yes.. it was even worse when Vixyn figured out the dog door and let himself in at 6am and stood next to my side of the bed honking..:rolleyes::gig
And my DH thinks the dog and cat are bad! :lau:lol::gig

There are a few places that have Chickens that have gone "native"... a county in Florida. A few townships in New York state...

but really they are not native to North America. South america has a few breeds that were Domesticated... These are the ones that lay blue eggs and or very colorful eggs.
But even those are techinically original to the Americas. The really unnusuals are the Collonca and the Toltec and the Olmec....

Archeologists traced the DNA of chickens in general ant they came originally from SouthEast Asia and China.... Gallus Gallus or Red Jungle fowl. We used to be able to get Jungle fowl from The San Diego Zoo when the population got overwhelming... but no more.
Red Jungle Fowl
Red_Junglefowl_-_Thailand.jpg

There is another source called the Green Jungle fowl...
10a_1024x683.jpg

Gallus Various... They come from Java

But in all I believe the Red jungle fowl is the main foundation breed for the modern chicken.

As far as I can read Chickens in General have only been domesticated about five thousand years.

deb

all Dogs and cats are permitted in the house at home. Most prefer not to sleep in the bed though I used to have a Boston that would worm her way under the covers down my back.... Excellent way to potty train though... Puppies sleep when they stir you pick em up and put em outside... then back to the Cave.

But since her I seem to pick dogs that have their own internal heater. Which is fine by me... I track enough crumbs and sharp bits on my own with out having the aid of four furry feet to add to it.

Cats are NOT allowed in the bedroom at night. I am too light a sleeper.... But since an incident between me and my former roommate Mule I will never have cats again.....

deb

There are a few places that have Chickens that have gone "native"... a county in Florida. A few townships in New York state...

but really they are not native to North America. South america has a few breeds that were Domesticated... These are the ones that lay blue eggs and or very colorful eggs.
But even those are techinically original to the Americas. The really unnusuals are the Collonca and the Toltec and the Olmec....

Archeologists traced the DNA of chickens in general ant they came originally from SouthEast Asia and China.... Gallus Gallus or Red Jungle fowl. We used to be able to get Jungle fowl from The San Diego Zoo when the population got overwhelming... but no more.
Red Jungle Fowl

10a_1024x683.jpg

But in all I believe the Red jungle fowl is the main foundation breed for the modern chicken.

As far as I can read Chickens in General have only been domesticated about five thousand years.

deb
The earliest 'officially' recognized domestic chicken is from 5400 BC roughly.
The Egyptians are likely to have had roosters at least because there are engravings of rooster in some of the tombs apparently.
it's almost impossible to tell from Asia and China.
Darwin believed the domestic chicken originated from the red jungle fowl but more recent evidence suggest that there was a mix between the red and green.

Red Jungle Fowl

10a_1024x683.jpg

deb
Howard Carter, An ostracon depicting a red jungle-fowl. (The earliest known drawing of the domestic cock.); in: Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 9 (1923), p. 1- 4, pl. XX.1. He describes a limestone ostraca found in Lord Carnarvon's excavations in the Valley of the Kings in Thebes, No. 341 (now in the British museum, EA ???).

Neolithic times in A. Sampson, E neolithike periodos sta Dodekanesa (Athens 1987) 135-145.

As I read In the Americas they have only been here 5000 years or so. Chickens are new relatively speaking in the Americas. Domestication occured In Asia as you said...

I am not a scientist so my info may not be exact.....

Isnt it amazing how many different breeds can be developed from a single bloodline or species. each adapted to human whim. Feathered legs no feathered legs good layers not good setters Fussy feathers slick hard feathers Melanistic lucitano (sp)..... Same goes for horses dogs cats etc.... Bred for temperament coat speed strength.

deb

As I read In the Americas they have only been here 5000 years or so. Chickens are new relatively speaking in the Americas. Domestication occured In Asia as you said...

I am not a scientist so my info may not be exact.....

Isnt it amazing how many different breeds can be developed from a single bloodline or species. each adapted to human whim. Feathered legs no feathered legs good layers not good setters Fussy feathers slick hard feathers Melanistic lucitano (sp)..... Same goes for horses dogs cats etc.... Bred for temperament coat speed strength.

deb
It is. Humans have diversified quite a bit too over the ages.;) Lots of skin colours, bone structures, facial features, sizes etc. We don't seem to have managed to keep the furry feet unless you include hobbits.:gig
What I find most interesting is how quickly the 'evolved' breeds return to behavior seen in the their ancestors. Some will say that these 'natural' traits have been bred out of them but that hasn't been my experience here, nor has it been for many other people who have studied the domesticated chicken at any depth. The unfortunate part is that the physiological changes human breeding intervention has produced have made it impossible for the chicken to carry out their 'natural' behaviour.
Mr sourland mentioned on another thread that he had been observing the semi feral chickens while he was on holiday and they seem from what little he wrote to behave much like the chickens here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom