West Virginia panhandle....

buy/sell/trade birds, talk about birds, gaze at others' birds
tongue.png
and otherwise trade knowledge and enthusiasm about everything chicken!!

I think we'll def do a couple chickenstocks in the area come spring and summer but I think some wanted to try and organize one this winter...that is why we were discussing some sort of shelter. I am an avid fancier of chickens and would go through most anything to be around them...except cold and freezing temps!!
lol.png

so if anyone is planning on having one this winter, it would most definitely require and indoor facility....preferribly with heat!!

yes. like we have a poultry barn at the fairgrounds in Jefferson County that I could probably get access. It does have electric so maybe some space heaters
hmm.png
must get creative
big_smile.png

I know that by saying this I am going to make a lot of people real mad....But, isnt this thread called the WV Panhandle. The places some of you are throwing out there is more than 3 hours away from the Panhandle of WV

Faverolles are a fave of mine. I don't have any but have some family who did.

There are some breeders on here with exceptional ones. Keep your eyes peeled on the buy/sell/trade and maybe some will show up fairly close.

maybe make an incubator and order some eggs...always an option.

I'm in part of WV panhandle, too - but on the northern panhandle, up here in Hancock County between OH & PA. Same place with the notoriety for having wasted $4,000 in taxpayer money this fall to hire someone to cure our "wild" chicken problem down in King's Creek
roll.png

I don't have any chickens yet - but hope to by Feb. We're in the process of organizing our stock of wood (and buying some as needed) to build our coop. The new house we bought has a room full of wood beneath the garage & we've spent the past few days sorting it out and figuring out what to use for the coop. From looking over all the great coop pictures here & reading the dos & don'ts I think we have a pretty good plan and the weather has been good for us this week!

Meyer's Hatchery in OH is just about 2 hours away, and we'll drive up then and hope to get 4 or 6 sex links, 2 australorps, 2 cuckoo marins & 2 easter eggers and maybe a silkie or two! Well - plan to get most at Meyer's, but might get some hatching eggs, too. S&S looks like they have some great eggs & its tempting to give incubating eggs a try!

I've learned so much from this site and we're all really excited about getting our hens. Nice to 'meet' you other WV'ns

edited because I'm a bit loopy at 12:47 am and forgot I had ideas about maybe getting hatching eggs, too.

Last edited:
Here we go again! We've had so much fun with our chickenstock, we're gearing up for another. Gower's feed in Ranson has asked us to host one. It's going to be much bigger than the last two as I've been hearing chatter and keeping a list of who's coming and bringing what and that list is ever increasing. Please take a minute and check out our website http://wvchickenstock.blogspot.com/

Here's
the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=348749

THE
LIST
welsummer -adult trios and pairs)
black java -started pair
buckeye -started pullets
rosecomb (adult birds and started birds)
bantam cochins (adults and started birds)
Kittens
2 black silkie roos
1 splash silkie roo
1 single comb silkie chick (how did that happen)
lav and split blk orpingtons chicks
Blue laced red Wyandotte roo and pullets -chicks hatch 6-2-10
2 blue marans roos
Easter Eggers (ameraucanas non-standard)
Silkies
blue/black/splash Marans
wheaten ameracauna
exchequer leghorn
white phoenix
blue sumatra
mottled d'uccle
wheaten marans chicks
show quality silkies
white racing homing pigeons
jumbo coturnix quail
and PEACHICKS!
many varieties of mini bunnies
cart coop w/ cedar siding and detachable run $800 http://designercoops.blogspot.com/2009/10/coop-designs.html
Barred
bantam cochin trio.
5 birchen hens and 1 birchen roo (bantan cochins)
4 blue hens and 1 blue roo (bantam cochins)
buff and red bantam cochin hens. They are all just a year old.
Barred rock pullets that will be a couple weeks old.
Black copper marans chicks
blue and white silkie chicks
wooden show boxes
(21) 13 wk old guineas in pearl and lavender
bantam Dark Cornish (3 hens & 1 roo)
Black Japanese Bantams
Lavender d'Uccles
A brassy back blue Old English Game roo and a blue OEG hen.
A pair of blue bantam Cochin
some crossed chicks and some Japanese, d'Uccle, and Silky chicks.
Maybe a black/blue Silky roo for a pet
One Buff Orpington 1 year old roo won at both the MD and VA November 2009 shows
6 Buff Orpington 1 year old hens
1 year old Blue Orpington hens
Some silkie roos that won at both the MD and VA November 2009 shows.
Champagne de Argent breeding rabbits
and mixed rosecomb/cochin chicks
5 month old wheaten marans roos and hens and hatching eggs
silkie and bantam cochin chicks (a lot) as well as hatching eggs!
3 hole and 4 hole nesting boxes
3 pigmy goats (1 male and 2 females) very friendly
holland lop and lionhead rabbits

Let me know if you're coming and what you're bringing so I can update it. If you have questions about testing and what we can do, to get you able to sell, please contact me.

Back
Top Bottom