What are you canning now?

i have 6 jars of salsa in the canner, I also have 1 pint jar of cilantro salsa ( the dregs of the pot plus a whole diced bunch of cilantro and extra diced pepper) that we will consume now. or i will.

I've got a test run of sauce on the stove.

big_smile.png

Quote:
Ooooh... I got one that I get rave reviews for!
smile.png

Hot Pepper Jelly

2 Cups Green & Red Bell Pepper Seeded and Chopped
6 Large or 9 Small Jalapeño Peppers Chopped (including seeds for EXTRA heat)
4 Cayenne Peppers Chopped
2 Tbsp Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Package Powdered Pectin
5 Cup Sugar

Mix peppers, hot sauce and vinegar over medium heat. Stir constantly for about 10 minutes to soften peppers. Add Pectin and turn heat to high, bringing mixture to a rapid boil for 1 minute. Then stir in sugar and bring back to a rolling boil for 1 additional minute. Temperature should be 220° degrees and/or should sheet off of a spoon.

Ladle into sterilized 8oz jars and waterbath seal for 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

I canned 8 half pints of hot pepper jelly today... looks to be settin up real good. I only had liquid pectin so I had to find me a recipe that called for it. Recipe H-E-R-E

15473_hotpepperjelly8111_collage.jpg

* The only thing I did different was used jalapeno, banana & green pepper. I also added hot pepper flakes we dried last year.

Quote:
For a real treat (assuming you aren't a vegetarian) add a very thin slice of rare duck breast or venison tenderloin to the cracker, cream cheese and jelly.

Thanks for the recipes, I wonder if the reason my jelly didn't set last year was because I used all hot peppers and no bell peppers. Don't really want to "water it down" with the sweet peppers.

Quote:
Oooh... you can fix them by recanning them with recipe I posted about 20 pages back, or there is a 'fix' on the directions in the Ball Pectin box!
smile.png
It can be fixed!

I bookmarked that one - here it is:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6593525#p6593525

Thank you both so much!! I had thought to maybe recook it, but didn't know how. Off to add pectin and lids to my shopping list...

KenK Wrote:
Jen4 wrote:

Thanks vfem... its so good stuff. We love it on crackers w/cream cheese droolin

For a real treat (assuming you aren't a vegetarian) add a very thin slice of rare duck breast or venison tenderloin to the cracker, cream cheese and jelly.

Thanks for the recipes, I wonder if the reason my jelly didn't set last year was because I used all hot peppers and no bell peppers. Don't really want to "water it down" with the sweet peppers.​

Thanks. That does sound good.

I was alittle worried at first, didnt think it was gonna set... but it did, nice thick jelly. I had some not set last year & I just l used em as a glaze for meats.​

I actually hold back a bit on the gel time with the HPJ sometimes when I wants to make a glaze to cook meats with. Not so it's syrupy, but so it smears really nicely with a spatula. I like to put some in my ground turkey for burgers! Then top the burgers with goat cheese & tomatoes!!!! YUM!!!

Back
Top Bottom