What Bantam breed(s) should I get?

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
So I am already thinking ahead to the future. I have never had Bantams, since they usually only come straight run. However I have a family member who is interested in taking all the bantam roos if I place an order next late this year or next year. So I may be able to get or hatch some!

I know absolutely NOTHING about any bantam breeds except what they look like! I would need a cold-hardy breed, friendly and docile, decent egg layer, not super broody…2-3 eggs a week in the spring/summer would be ok. And I prefer to not have to broody break all the time. I do love a beautiful pattern but that is the bottom of my priority list!

Any suggestions?

okay there is 3 things that varies 1.do you want a good layer or a good mom
2. do you want the prettiest or the most hardie
3.do you want good docile chickens or do you want whatever breed is the best no matter the personality

okay there is 3 things that varies 1.do you want a good layer or a good mom
2. do you want the prettiest or the most hardie
3.do you want good docile chickens or do you want whatever breed is the best no matter the personality
I would prefer sweet personality, cold hardy, and regular eggs as my top priorities.

Beauty would be lower priority.

I’d prefer to avoid super broody as I won’t be broody hatching much.

Thank you for helping!

I love bantams! For cold hardy, I like bantam Cochins, a lot. They're incredibly friendly and just so gorgeous! I have 2 roosters and they're both really friendly. I admit that I noticed both boys become biters if space was starting to get tight whenever they were young, but once given adequate space, they quickly became favorites for everyone here. They can be on the larger side for Bantams. Another favorite bantam breed is the Old English Game Bantams. All of my OEGB hens lay very well, especially for being Bantams. My roosters are all very friendly, with the exception of one that has an issue with my daughter 🤷🏻‍♀️ No idea what the deal is there, except for the fact that she was 7 or 8 whenever we got him. He is always very gentle with me, plus he's only maybe 2lbs. One of my OEGB hens crows and it's the cutest thing! They turn 2 years old this month and I think I've had to break one of the hens from being broody once and it was easy to do. One of my OEGB hens is tiny and I worry about her in the colder temps but she hasn't acted like anything bothers her. Dutch Bantams are so incredibly friendly, but my hens aren't the best layers.

Edited to add: Bantam Cochins are one of the more broody breeds. So maybe not a good match. I tend to think of my roosters so my apologies for that 💜

Back
Top Bottom