What Bantam breed(s) should I get?

I may have a source for pure BBS Ameraucana bantams, too. Anyone have experience with them? Would they get along with OEGB?
I have read many times that they're wonderful layers, but I'm really not sure if the authors actually had bantam Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas. I'd think they would lay up to your expectations. I am jealous of your source 💜

I may have a source for pure BBS Ameraucana bantams, too. Anyone have experience with them? Would they get along with OEGB?
I have wheaten and self blue bantam Ameraucana. They are by far my favorite breed I’ve had. They are cold tolerant and with small pea combs less likely to deal with frostbite, do well being confined to coop, very friendly, the roosters are tolerant and gentle ( I currently have 5 in the same coop and no fighting), they did go broody once last spring but broke easily, last spring summer they layed regularly, laying paused during molt. I didn’t add lights this winter so their egg laying numbers weren’t great.
I’ve had some OEGB I’m not sure if the roosters would get along. The hens should. My OEGB were friendly, cold tolerant, good layers, did go broody a few times in spring and summer weren’t the easiest to break but better than my silkies. I did let one hatch chick once, she stole chicks from the other broody silkies. Once she had her self selected clutch she was a great mother to them but she would try to kill the other hens chick if they came near her. She is the only broody I ever had to separate. I’m not sure if this is the norm for them or not.

I have wheaten and self blue bantam Ameraucana. They are by far my favorite breed I’ve had. They are cold tolerant and with small pea combs less likely to deal with frostbite, do well being confined to coop, very friendly, the roosters are tolerant and gentle ( I currently have 5 in the same coop and no fighting), they did go broody once last spring but broke easily, last spring summer they layed regularly, laying paused during molt. I didn’t add lights this winter so their egg laying numbers weren’t great.
I’ve had some OEGB I’m not sure if the roosters would get along. The hens should. My OEGB were friendly, cold tolerant, good layers, did go broody a few times in spring and summer weren’t the easiest to break but better than my silkies. I did let one hatch chick once, she stole chicks from the other broody silkies. Once she had her self selected clutch she was a great mother to them but she would try to kill the other hens chick if they came near her. She is the only broody I ever had to separate. I’m not sure if this is the norm for them or not.
This is super helpful. I am about 45 minutes from you, so climate should be exactly the same! Thank you! If you hatch eggs, maybe we could trade eggs in a year or two to add new genes (if I get the Ameraucana!)

This is super helpful. I am about 45 minutes from you, so climate should be exactly the same! Thank you! If you hatch eggs, maybe we could trade eggs in a year or two to add new genes (if I get the Ameraucana!)
Like I said I’ve been very happy with this breed. I wouldn’t call them cuddly chickens but they like to be around humans and will eat out of you hand. The lavenders are hard to get pictures of because they are running towards me or sitting at my feet. Did you find someone local that has bantam Ameraucana? I didn’t think there was anyone in our area breeding them. I got eggs from a breeder in CT because I couldn’t find anyone local.
We are having such beautiful weather today I opened the coop up for them but they came out and looked around saw the white stuff is still on the ground and decided they prefer their dry coop. I will be hatching later in the spring, I didn’t realize not having lights on them would delay their laying late. Next year I’m putting lights on right after the new year.

Back
Top Bottom