What breed laid the first egg for you?

Wow. That's early. Leghorns are great layers. I had one before and she was a little flighty and would get the flock scared. Are yours?

We hatched her and she is really friendly. She hops in our laps and takes naps. Definitely the friendliest in our flock.

I have two Barred Rock and two Australorps. One of the BR was first to lay around 22 weeks. She has also been the most consistent layer. Both of the BA started 23-24 weeks and I can't complain about their consistency. The other BR didn't start until around 26 weeks or so, and has been my least consistent! She's also my flightiest, and I think she's easily stressed. I picked her up the other day (Oh, the horror!), and she hasn't laid in three days!

Leghorns are great layers and usually start laying early. Now I want Leghorns again...ha ha. Are yours flighty?

Mine are funny. They will follow me around all day as long as I do not try to catch them. When the whole flock is out free ranging they stick together but my 4 leghorns will be in an other area a little spread out in there own world a lot of times. They are a lot different then my others. But they come when they see us or we call them. They will sometimes just hang out in the coop when the others leave if I am in there cleaning up. I love them, they are sweet!

I have two Barred Rock and two Australorps. One of the BR was first to lay around 22 weeks. She has also been the most consistent layer. Both of the BA started 23-24 weeks and I can't complain about their consistency. The other BR didn't start until around 26 weeks or so, and has been my least consistent! She's also my flightiest, and I think she's easily stressed. I picked her up the other day (Oh, the horror!), and she hasn't laid in three days! 

I love Barred Rocks. Always good layers. I have some that don't like to be handled either. They are drama queens...ha ha!

Back
Top Bottom