What can't they eat???!?!?!?

One of my girl's favorite winter treats is cooked oatmeal. I add just a tiny bit of salt, and sometimes a handful of raisins. They go nuts over it!

Can't remember what's in it but don't feed alot of cat food..a can now & then for protein is ok. Garlic, Onions, and anything strong flavored will taint the taste of ur eggs just like breast milk. Green potatoe peelings will poison any animal.
I mix dry cat food 1:15 ratio in my feed, and they get canned cat food. What's it do to them? My chickens appear to be fine.

Mine ladies also eat pretty much anything. However, they LOVE watermelon rinds, kale and collard greens. I was selective in not feeding them decaying produce, but found they run to the compost heap (right near their pen) and chow down. Go figure.

I'm going to keep my chickens in the side yard(when i get them, lol) and we have a lemon tree there. Are they smart enough to know it's toxic to them, and wont eat it? Or will I have to cover it up? ;/

I have heard they should not eat citrus or barley (but other grains are OK). Ours have eaten both of these though, with no ill effects. It probably depends a lot on quantity and duration.

Whenever we eat grapefruit, we take the rinds out to the girls. The seem to like it. They don't actually eat the rind but they sure do clean out any pulp left in the rind.
Still not sure about letting them run around in the compost. I'd hate to lose anybody to botulism.

I will tell you if you continue to feed our dog raisins and grapes you will be sorry. Our Basset Hound died! do your homework and speak with your Vet.

Hello all, haven't been on here in awhile but was on seeking some ideas for other foods to supplement layer feed and I don't do scratch feed.

So I know about raw potatos and peelings, onions etc etc but was wondering about barley. I have been giving my chickens barley along with lentils and split peas for about a month now trying to increase their protein intake, but no barley? Just wondering why? Thanks!

~KC

I have 11 chickens and they cannot eat beans or avocado it is poison. their favorite is cream cheese or yogurt. i make my own homemade yogurt that they love. they cant have rice, beans, avocado, or anything along those lines. if you hang cabbage up they will peck at it, and it will last a few days(depending on how many chickens you have, i have 8 hens 3 roosters and 10 guinea's it only lasts about 1-1 1/2 days

Hello all, haven't been on here in awhile but was on seeking some ideas for other foods to supplement layer feed and I don't do scratch feed.

So I know about raw potatos and peelings, onions etc etc but was wondering about barley. I have been giving my chickens barley along with lentils and split peas for about a month now trying to increase their protein intake, but no barley? Just wondering why? Thanks
barley is not their favorite if they have something else to eat than they will leave it but if they are that hungry they will eat it and sometimes spit it back out

Back
Top Bottom