what causes chicks to be born sickly?

lirette

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2015
Oklahoma
I had a friend give me some new breeds of chicks to hatch. 17 hatched all healthy but the salmon favereoll. out of 4, 1 fine, 1 spay leg, 2 lifeless, eyes closed seem to gasp for air (sorta). Lost of of them yesterday but the other one is still alive. I have been giving electrolytes with vitamins to keep hydrated. Anything else I could try? Even if I should lose this one it would be helpful should I ever experience this type of thing in the future. They are 3 days old by the way. Thanks

There are a lot of things that *can* cause a chick to be poorly at hatch -- in your situation since the issues are presenting in one particular breed the first thing to consider is poor breeding stock. Were the eggs from your friend's own flock or just eggs they had gotten and were sharing? Some issues are related to incubation and hatching, but because the other chicks are not showing any issues that would tend to speak in favor of your incubation and hatching. Another thing to consider is the storage of the eggs prior to being set -- were the eggs all kept together or were the various breeds store separately allowing for a possibility that the SF eggs were somehow handled differently, more aged, etc.

Thank you for your responses. I got them from a friend. I did let them rest before setting them and all breeds are in the same incubator. But on a good note.... I gave electrolytes through out the 2 day period and now the chick is up and acting like normal. But I will let the breeder know of the situation and see how his have hatched out also. Talked to another breeder I trust well and she too gave me multiple possibilities. So once again thank you. The chick seems to have pulled through.

Did want to mention. The friend who gave me the eggs did mention he wasn't sure they would hatch due to his rooster was older and had been not feeling well and his new rooster might not have been old enough at the time.

Back
Top Bottom