What did you do with your flock today?

Haven't done it yet, but I know what I will be doing. Adding dirt to the puddles at the end of the run. It has rained non-stop going on day two? I believe, and we have another day of it too.

When I mucked a few weeks ago I dug too deep and made a hole lol I did that so we could have room to put up the new run-- which hasn't gotten done because of the weather (too much rain or too cold)

I mean, the girls like the puddles lol

Our entire yard is soggy lol

Added a bit of pine for now. A rework is in the works but we have to wait for the rain to stop lol four days last week and three this... April showers lol

Attachments

• PXL_20240411_152451075.jpg
    PXL_20240411_152451075.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240411_152455259.jpg
    PXL_20240411_152455259.jpg
    978.3 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240411_153453666.jpg
    PXL_20240411_153453666.jpg
    973.4 KB · Views: 5
This afternoon we welcomed two new members to the flock.
View attachment 3795975
And then later that day there was a third!
IMG_20240409_165856451~2.jpg

There were two more eggs I'd added 4 days after the original batch of 3 as Martha wasn't being faithful on the nest, and I wasn't sure the first bunch were viable.

MAGNIFICENT MARTHA continued to brood the other two eggs. And they hatched today!
IMG_20240411_172057003~2.jpg

IMG_20240411_171741573~2.jpg

Well, I didn't get around to taking pictures of Biscotti...it was a very busy day here and I'm glad it's over! But, I sold 3 more roosters to a very nice fellow. Most of them are rehomed now and I have a nice list of likable people to call if I happen to have extra hens. Of course extra hens means more extra roos sooooo 🥴

Been busy around here lately! Between hatching a ton of babies, shuttling around children to sports practices, and my work travel picking up…I’m starting to feel some of that spring anxiety I get when all the things peak at once. Thank goodness the rain is tapering off so we can start addressing all the gross runs that got rearranged by mud water and chicken poop and rats…

Tonight I got a few snuggles from the oldest bobtail chick we kept. Since we have a Willow, Aspen, and Hazel…she is named Maple 🍁 😍 Aria wants to name a boy Syrup too haha. She’s really sweet. I just love the bobtails, they are by far the most awesome Cochins I’ve owned.

View attachment 3796996

I had a busy weekend selling birds and dealing with issues from sales. My bobtails are doing their best to convince me not to sell their eggs! I sold some to someone about 3 hrs south of me and only one egg was fertile after I’d just had two successful hatches of 6…so I collected 10 more and hand delivered them on my drive to LA for vacation…and none of those were fertile! SO I popped three in my incubator to test them and all three are developing! 🫠🤪 So she said she’d be patient and wait for them to get more consistent and I bathed them, treated them for bugs and cut a bunch of butt fluff. Sooo annoying and I feel so bad! Then I also sold chicks to a couple people and one messaged me today about a baby seeming lethargic. I’m sure the stress triggered cocci so now I’m worrying I gave her a dud for her kid to fall in love with at 5 years old 😩 Seemed to perk up after the Corid treatment I recommended so fingers crossed! But on the positive side, another customer—who lives in Tuscon @ChicksnMore!—bought a dozen bantam Ameraucana eggs from me and had a successful hatch and is super happy! So I guess just like all things chickens/poultry…the bad or weak don’t make it…

Lastly, I have a bunch of watermaals hatching today! Super excited 🪺❤️
View attachment 3797000
Awww, Maple reminds me of Sylv as a chick. He was already 6 weeks old when we got him but he used to bliss out on me in just the same way.
That watermaal chick! 😍😍😍

Back
Top Bottom