What did your chickens do today?

my chickens are starting to lay. we have had 2 laying but today 3 others laid their first eggs.
celebrate.gif

also, one of our ducks lid a miniature egg(about half the size of a chicken egg)

Last edited:
I went out and visited with the babies, spending extra time with Cinco and Seis, the "orphan" chicks. (Broody mama couldn't care for them). Then my 3 month old barred rock Sweet Basil hopped onto my arm and cuddled with me for a good twenty minutes until my arm was ready to fall off and I finally had to put her on the roost.

Today our chickens got to explore the Big Coop! (Finally) They promptly jumped up on the hay bales and went UP as far as they could, looking, pecking, clucking and generally making a big racket. They were excited. More space - yeah! It's not totally secure yet, but they're OK to be in there during the day. I really don't know what they think they'll find by scratching and pecking at a bare plywood floor!!! So the hay got scattered and that made them even happier!
woot.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif

Happy Chickens = Happy Chicken Mama.

Madonna spent a week with the other 5 hens after Betty was taken by "coyote" I believe, but couldn't wait to go back to her own Coop/Dog House...she's 14 1/2 now and she likes to go to bed earlier than the others, so she just marched up the hill back to her private area. I guess it isn't going to work to try keep them all in one place, she made that decision for me :) She's a sweetheart!

It's not my chicken, but what she did was pretty interesting. My dad went out to gather eggs from his coop and came across one of his Rhode Island Reds in a nest box. She looked at him then reached under herself and rolled an egg towards him. He took it, and she rolled a second and third out to him before she settled back down again. He also had a Black Sex Link stand up in a nest one time, turn around and drop an egg in his hand. His chickens basically hand him eggs, but I can't get two of my silkies to lay in a nest.
roll.png

Last edited:
My chickens enjoy pecking at my toes when I walk out in flip flops. (My nails are currently painted black.) So, I donned shoes today to see if it made a difference. Nope. Continued pecking at the shoe till the realized that no, my feet are not food.

Back
Top Bottom