What did your pullet look like when she laid her first egg?

Apr 1, 2022
Seattle, WA
I’m super curious to know what your pullets looked like when they finally gave you their first eggs. If you have photos, share them here! And include how old she was if you have that info, too!

I thought it would be cool to see the variety of development among pullets when they come into lay. I’m guessing some will be super developed, and others less so. Let’s see!

The extra selfish reasoning behind this post:
I have five 16 week old pullets that I’ve raised from day old chicks, and one of them started turning red about two weeks ago. In the last 5 days, her comb and wattles have grown significantly. No squatting yet, but she’s always been skittish so I don’t really expect her to at the start of laying. (One of her flock mates is not red at all and squats for me though!) I keep thinking eggs are just around the corner! But nothing yet. And then my neighbor with two pullets of the same age tells me she got her first egg and her pullet isn’t red, comb and wattles are tiny, and no squatting! It’s driving me a little bit up the wall! I’m egg hunting in the run daily, and I need to focus my attention elsewhere because my girls are starting to get annoyed with me. :idunnoThis is my first flock, so I’m overly eager but can you blame me?! Haha!

Here are my three most developed pullets. The white one is the one that squats. The grey one is getting red and comb/wattles are changing but not nearly as much as my brown and white girl! The gray one was acting strange today - making an absolute fuss and seemingly being super spooked about nothing. Let’s hope for eggs soon!

Attachments

• 52B532BA-D193-4620-909D-80986F03013A.jpeg
    52B532BA-D193-4620-909D-80986F03013A.jpeg
    676.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I’m super curious to know what your pullets looked like when they finally gave you their first eggs. If you have photos, share them here! And include how old she was if you have that info, too!

I thought it would be cool to see the variety of development among pullets when they come into lay. I’m guessing some will be super developed, and others less so. Let’s see!

The extra selfish reasoning behind this post:
I have five 16 week old pullets that I’ve raised from day old chicks, and one of them started turning red about two weeks ago. In the last 5 days, her comb and wattles have grown significantly. No squatting yet, but she’s always been skittish so I don’t really expect her to at the start of laying. (One of her flock mates is not red at all and squats for me though!) I keep thinking eggs are just around the corner! But nothing yet. And then my neighbor with two pullets of the same age tells me she got her first egg and her pullet isn’t red, comb and wattles are tiny, and no squatting! It’s driving me a little bit up the wall! I’m egg hunting in the run daily, and I need to focus my attention elsewhere because my girls are starting to get annoyed with me. :idunnoThis is my first flock, so I’m overly eager but can you blame me?! Haha!

Here are my three most developed pullets. The white one is the one that squats. The grey one is getting red and comb/wattles are changing but not nearly as much as my brown and white girl! The gray one was acting strange today - making an absolute fuss and seemingly being super spooked about nothing. Let’s hope for eggs soon!
Welcome to BYC. I originally was from Seattle and it is amazing how many people have chickens there!

On average, chickens start laying when they're 6 months old. Since your ladies are 16 weeks (4 months.. they are not there yet). Some chickens when they first lay, they lay a very tiny egg called a fairy egg. Some are soft shelled or no shell at all. There is no particular breed that does it, just depends on the hen.

Welcome to BYC. I originally was from Seattle and it is amazing how many people have chickens there!

On average, chickens start laying when they're 6 months old. Since your ladies are 16 weeks (4 months.. they are not there yet). Some chickens when they first lay, they lay a very tiny egg called a fairy egg. Some are soft shelled or no shell at all. There is no particular breed that does it, just depends on the hen.
Seattle is definitely a backyard chicken city! I can hear two additional flocks when I stand in my backyard. “Oh! Sounds like the neighbor has a new egg!” Haha!

I know that my girls aren’t quite there, but I was really curious to see photos of pullets that have just started to lay because I suspect they won’t all look super developed. I’ve seen a number of posts here where people collect a first egg, and I’m shocked at how pink and tiny their chickens are! Like my neighbor - practically no comb or wattles and pink, yet somehow laying eggs!

I guess I was thinking it could be a thread similar to the first egg thread, but more of a “my chicken had her first period!” thread 😂

Seattle is definitely a backyard chicken city! I can hear two additional flocks when I stand in my backyard. “Oh! Sounds like the neighbor has a new egg!” Haha!

I know that my girls aren’t quite there, but I was really curious to see photos of pullets that have just started to lay because I suspect they won’t all look super developed. I’ve seen a number of posts here where people collect a first egg, and I’m shocked at how pink and tiny their chickens are! Like my neighbor - practically no comb or wattles and pink, yet somehow laying eggs!

I guess I was thinking it could be a thread similar to the first egg thread, but more of a “my chicken had her first period!” thread 😂
Nothing wrong with that. I have several new hens that should be laying within the next few months. It will be interesting to see what their eggs will look like.

Usually, the first egg came within 2 weeks of the first squatting, so you white girl should be close. Don't let Marans' large red comb fool you! They tend to have their comb big and red very early.
Interestingly, I thought my white girl was squatting until today when my Gray Marans squatted for me! This is my first time with chickens so I had never actually seen a true squat, and now that she’s done it I realized I was mistaken about my white bird. I’m pretty shocked she’s getting ready as early as she is. I have always heard the Marans take longer. She’s also been incredibly vocal lately and checking out nest boxes so we will see! All signs point to eggs soon!

Attachments

• F652DA94-3BF5-4F6D-9017-3664C50ED0C3.jpeg
    F652DA94-3BF5-4F6D-9017-3664C50ED0C3.jpeg
    988.6 KB · Views: 32
Interestingly, I thought my white girl was squatting until today when my Gray Marans squatted for me! This is my first time with chickens so I had never actually seen a true squat, and now that she’s done it I realized I was mistaken about my white bird. I’m pretty shocked she’s getting ready as early as she is. I have always heard the Marans take longer. She’s also been incredibly vocal lately and checking out nest boxes so we will see! All signs point to eggs soon!
Yeah, she most likely will lay eggs within 2 weeks. :celebrateCould be even earlier.

Back
Top Bottom