What do they say in your neck of the woods?

So where do you live and what do you call the midday and evening meal?

Lunch and Supper for me
wink.png

ha ha ha omg Purr that is so funny!! We used to make our JROTC instructor who was from Maine say Pahk the cah in the yahd!!!
tongue.png
We loved it, and it made him smile and he was happy to share a bit of his hometown with us.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner to me...but then I have lived all over. I am pretty sure my hubby tells me the older gentlemen he talks to say breakfast, dinner and supper.

They use some weird terms here also, read up (clean up), change around (change clothes), you'inz (that one makes me giggle when I hear it) "You'inz going to the store?"

And they have Subways here, but people still call them Hoagies. How do you get a Hoagie from 'Sub'way? lol I call them subs.

Oh and can't forget the 'bedclothes' here. I busted out laughing the first time I heard sheets and blankets called bedclothes. Hubby still slips up and says it, I laugh and he tells me to hush lol.

yep that's what I grew up hearing! ^_^ (Giant Smile) My grandparents grew up in lancaster cty PA and they said read up for clean up and bedclothes.

Forshoosheled: all mixed up
Hassock: Ottoman
Snicklefritz: little busy body (ha ha
tongue.png
)
chest of drawers: dresser
Davenport: couch
Buggy: grocery cart

I know there are others but those are the ones that I can think of, off the top of my head
smile.png

My grandparents used to say breakfast lunch and supper...although I think at one point they may have called lunch dinner, but didn't anymore because no one here in OK used it.

We say fixin to when we're about to do something here in ok. And the word for all pop here is Coke
wink.png

"Do you want a coke?" "Yeah sure." What kind do you want?

I was too slow kdcrews beat me to some of them ^_^​

Last edited:
Quote:
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ayuh, we have a wicked good baked bean suppah down at the church. After that we take a walk out to the sh*ttah and head home.

We also have Bumpah Stickahs, cahs. Beareau(h) its also a chestadraws. Yeah, a dresser would get some giggles and over the eye glass' glance-
gig.gif

Up heayuh in Maine, its the pitch, tone and when to drop the r. A southern lady once asked me to say the Alphabet.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q ah S T U V duoble yah X Y Z.

uhuh, we kno just what weah talken bout. Weah not uneducamated, just not qwik talken, less't was to rain on the hay. Then thah neybuhs wud come an hep us, jus got to call um up.
My DH that comes from down state Maine get grossed out when I say "Holy Hannah, that went quicker then chyt through a tin horn". He said "just like having to get out a door with Snot on a door knob"...and still he laughs cause my reply to that was "ewww"
sickbyc.gif
. LOL. Sad ain't I!

hahahaha ,,, ayauh ,, i tell everyone down here to take off the "E" or the "ER" and add "A" or "AH"
and EVERYONE asks me ta say watah
big_smile.png

my poor kids,,, i wont allow them ta say "ya all" or "right quick" < man i hate that...... people usta say " could you do that right quick?",, i say,,,NOPE,, im a hippie from maine,, we dont do ANYTHING "right quick" hehehe
wink.png

And we're going down east or ovah to Bah Ha Bah.

Sigh. I miss home.

Anyway here in CO I hear alot of Breakfast lunch and dinner. back home it was breakfast dinner and suppah.

im with mikeeeeeee, breakfast, lunch and supper. dinner is for Sunday meal with the whole family. now im hungry for sone fried chicken, turnip greens mashed taters and gravy and corn bread.

I am an Arkansas hillbilly, 2nd generation. Dad, who was from OK, used to sware that hillbillies said "hen's nesties, and fence posties". I've never heard anyone say that, but I have heard "waspers" for wasps and "ideals" instead of ideas. " What'cha wanta do? Got any ideals?"
lol.png

Quote:
hahahaha ,,, ayauh ,, i tell everyone down here to take off the "E" or the "ER" and add "A" or "AH"
and EVERYONE asks me ta say watah
big_smile.png

my poor kids,,, i wont allow them ta say "ya all" or "right quick" < man i hate that...... people usta say " could you do that right quick?",, i say,,,NOPE,, im a hippie from maine,, we dont do ANYTHING "right quick" hehehe
wink.png

And we're going down east or ovah to Bah Ha Bah.

Sigh. I miss home.

Anyway here in CO I hear alot of Breakfast lunch and dinner. back home it was breakfast dinner and suppah.

Bah Ha Bah. area is where im from,,,yah geht the maine/ fisherman slang,,, hehe
wink.png

I live in WV and we say lunch for the noon meal, unless it's Sunday and then we call it dinnner. The evening meal is always called supper, unless we are going to a resturaunt and then it is out to dinner. I think someone else said near the same thing.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom