What do they say in your neck of the woods?

Quote:
LOL Man, you Yanks are strange!
wink.png

thats 1 of the nicer things ive been called hahaha
wink.png

It is interesting how many things are stated differently throughout the country. For me it is Breakfast, Dinner and Supper. Even though I am in the NW now, I came from the South. I do get strange looks every now and again when I invite someone to supper.
gig.gif

I say brekfust, dinnah and suppa. What do ya'll call the hose pipe? (That's a garden hose to some) When I moved to Kentucky, I had people laugh at that and I had never heard anything but hose pipe! My boss is from a large city in Alabama and he say's breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Well let's see...

Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner - Sunday Dinner
Fix-in to
Bed Clothes (to include pillow cases, sheets & comforter)
Piller (pillow)
Washing Powders (clothes soap / liquid or powder)
Stoved Up (sore muscles)
Ya'll (you all)
Would you like a Coke? (then state whats available or ask what flavor of the other brands)

When answering the phone at work, I way "Good Day" this is xxxxx, How may I help you".

I swipped that from our Aussie Friends, becuase I hate being corrected when saying Good Morning at 3:00pm in the evening and vise versa in the morning when a 100 other things are going through my head when answering a never ending ringing phone - LOL!

Quote:
stoved up, i have never heard of that one! learn something new all the time!

the phone thing, i dont blame you for saying 'good day' i was guilty of saying 'hello' more than once like i was just at home and vise versa, i would be at home and answer the name the dr i was working for like i was at work!!

wendy

Well...

Everything that ends in -ow (yellow) might as well end in
-uh (yelluh)
Chew - dippin tobacco
Shaps - chaps (a lot of folks say "ch," its supposed to be "sh")
If I had my druthers - If I had my choice
Kinfolk - Your folks
Yall (of course)
What in tarnation?! - A nice version of "What the ****?!"
Warsh - Wash
Warshin - What most folks seem to call their dirty laundry.
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Fixin to - goin to
Panther - Mountain Lion (we've got a few here)
Coons - Racoons (I've actually had someone ask what a coon was. Dear Lord!)
Hoss - horse
Piany (pie-anny) - piano
Geetar - guitar
Goatheads - Bullheads, yellow-vine, puncture-vine, etc.
Devil's Claw - A real neat plant that has two long curved "claws", and when its green, ya fry it like okra and when its dry ya crack it open and eat the seeds just like sunflower seeds.
Cop Shop - police station

I grew up in West Virginia so most of the southern stuff I am familiar with. I now live on Long Island. Here you don't stand IN the line, you stand ON the line. Older women don't call them shopping carts or buggies, they are wagons. Ya'll was the hardest and last part of my southern accent that I had to lose. Now, my accent only comes back when I am talking to someone in my family on the phone, or I am extremely relaxed. One of my friends back home gets really angry that I lost my accent, like I am a traitor or something. I started losing it as a child, I think I watched too much tv.

Back
Top Bottom