What do you grow in your garden?

No, no chickens in the garden. Bad idea. Even if they didn't eat everything, with all the clay in the soil around here they'd compact it into concrete.
big_smile.png

Okay, here's what's in as of now:

basil (italian, globe, thai, purple)
savory (winter and summer)
thyme (about 9 different varieties)
mint
marjoram
tarragon
dill
fennel
parsley
chives
garlic
nasturtiums
bay
lavendar (provencal, bunches and bunches)

eggplant (baby ghosts)
tomatoes (cherry, grape, abe lincoln, roma)
tomatilloes (just trying these this year)
radishes
carrots (3 varieties, I usually have no luck with carrots, yet I can't stop trying)
green leaf lettuce
arugula
mesculan
cucumbers
jalepenos
green peppers
crookneck squash
zuccs
pumpkins
watermelon (sugar babies)
strawberries
blackberries
red/black raspberries
morels (another new one for us
fl.gif
, I have to keep feeding the mushroom garden with kitchen scraps)

Mark

Last edited:
Major newbie at the garden thing over here! I have a question for anyone who grows strawberries. My daughter wanted to grow strawberries, but of the ones we have had (3 so far) they really are tart. I was wondering if there was something we could do to make them sweeter (like I read that horse manure makes peppers hotter)or is it just because it's so early in the season?

It might be that you picked them just a bit too early. Or, it could just be due to the variety. While I think they're all sweet, some varieties are definately a little tart, too.

Mark

:DWe have three greenhouses and a big circle.
In the circle right we have:
Snow peas
Broccoli
Dill
Strawberrys
An asian pear tree
Pole beans
In Beartha (our biggest greenhouse):
Rainbow Chard
Japonese mint
Japonese Mustard
Beets
Bok choy
Arugala
All kinds of lettuce mixes
Winter Desity
Parsley
Kholrabi
Radichiio (I can't think of how to spell it right now)
Lemon Balm
Bronze Arrow
Spinach (LOTS OF IT)
And in TINY:
pretty much the same thing but we have strawberrys and tomatoes and cucumbers
in MOE:
Agian we have the same things but a lot of broccoli
and pretty soon some flowers.
big_smile.png

I think thats it. And it's all organic to..
GO GREEN ANGEL!

I plant squash,green beans,tomatoes,cucumbers,black eyeds,peas. It is a nice little garden!

Quote:
It's possible that you picked them too early, however, if they were soft enough and still tart, it may be the variety. Do be sure to wait a bit after they turn red before picking them. They need a little bit to get sweet enough to eat.

I have not grown them myself, but I do like to eat them.
big_smile.png
The Farmer's Market near my home has a lot of strawberry farmers and they often allow you to taste their produce. I do recall that they had Chandler and Camerosa varieties there and there was one I definitely preferred over the other. The problem is, I can't remember now which one I liked!

The following is a website with varieties by region. You might want to read up on which kinds are best for your region and look for descriptions of the fruit.
http://strawberry.ifas.ufl.edu/breeding/varieties.htm

My mom and I don't have much space to have a a full garden but we do have two raised beds. One of them is my dad's (NO touchy!!!!
lol.png
) and the other is mine.

In mine I have lots of strawberry's, two basil plants, lettuce, pepper, cantaloupe, cucumber, tomatoes, and corn.

My dad's has a few strawberry's (we could be considered strawberry obsessed) and lots of corn grown on mounds. When the corn is about 6-8 inches tall he grows beans around them, on the mounds too - the corn acts as a trellis for them - and squash around the outside of the mounds which keep the moisture in the soil. The Native Americans call this the Three Sisters.

My mom has a small strip of soil in which she plants lots of peas and some lettuce. This area is conveniently (for the chickens) located where they (the chickens) roam free when we are outside. They love to peck at it.

We have a lot of pots around as we have a large cement patio -which could actually be the yard- with only small bits of soil so we can only plant things in pots and in the raised beds and the small strip that I mentioned above.

In the pots we plant thyme, flowers (of course) , cilantro, tomatoes,
catnip and spearmint.

In the front yard we mostly have flowers, some broccoli and cabbage, blueberry's and some strawberry's.

I think that's it!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom