What do you have in your flock?

My flock is made up of a Barred Rock, a Salmon Faverolle, three Light Brahmas, a White Leghorn, a Buff Orpington, a Partridge Rock, a Cuckoo Maran, a White Cochin, and soon-to-be a Black Silkie, a Buff Silkie, and three blue/splash/Black silkies. Phew, what a mouthful :rolleyes:

Current are in my signature. Also had 2 Cubalayas and 2 Partridge Chanteclers. Getting 2 Golden Campines and 2 Barred Rocks next week. I do enjoy being able to figure out which bird is which by sight. Some are leg banded but that is for DW and DD1. I can tell who is who because I see them several times a day.

Things have changed since I last posted in here. I might as well throw up an updated list.
1 buff orpington, 2 easter eggers, 1 barred rock, 3 rhode island reds, 2 black sex links, 1 bantam polish and my little roo, who I believe to be OEGB X easter egger (the one in my avatar).

Polish and Silkies are usually very timid docile bantams and need others of their kind to toodle around with away from the larger breeds. Do you have another 2 or 3 Polish bantams to go with the single one you mentioned in your post?

My flock is made up of a Barred Rock, a Salmon Faverolle, three Light Brahmas, a White Leghorn, a Buff Orpington, a Partridge Rock, a Cuckoo Maran, a White Cochin, and soon-to-be a Black Silkie, a Buff Silkie, and three blue/splash/Black silkies. Phew, what a mouthful :rolleyes:

So very glad to see you have more than one Silkie in the flock -- bantams, very specifically Silkies and Polish are usually shy timid birds that can get mercilessly feather-picked by larger breeds -- my Silkies would toodle around in their own little group away from the more assertive larger birds. I have one lone old Silkie hen left in the flock and although she holds her own without her Silkie friend who died last year, she doesn't mingle with the larger birds in the flock and is quite a lonely-looking soul. I don't want to get a new Silkie companion for her to toodle with because what if the old girl dies soon and then I'll be left with one lonely new Silkie. I'm zone restricted and can't get a bunch more birds to add to the backyard flock. Just not a good idea to mix docile bantams with larger breeds.

We have
2 barred rocks
1 Icelandic
1 Ameraucana
2 silkies
1 salmon faverolle
1 australorp
1 Orpington
2 Easter Eggers
1 light Brahma

Polish and Silkies are usually very timid docile bantams and need others of their kind to toodle around with away from the larger breeds. Do you have another 2 or 3 Polish bantams to go with the single one you mentioned in your post?
Things have changed (again) since I made that post. The polish has been rehomed to a friend of mine. The half banty roo was taken by a predator and was replaced by an EE and I have another orpington, 2 GLW, a leghorn and an egyptian fayoumi in the brooder. The polish wound up being a cockerel and after my normal roo was taken wound up running the show. He actually did really well with the LF hens, but they started plucking his 80's rock star hair and I ended up deciding to send him somewhere that was a better fit for him. I get updates on how well he is doing :)

There's been some changes since my last post here...this years flick is:
Black sex link...1 year old (last years flock)
Splash Isbar.....1 year old (just got her)
Sapphire Gem, Calico Princess and Easter Egger....all 9 weeks old
Crested Cream Legbar.....4-5 weeks old
2 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes....3 weeks old

Friday will see the arrival of 4 silver laced polish and 2 more sapphire gems......but they aren't staying, I'm fostering for my sister for about 8 weeks(well, one might end up staying, lol)

Current are in my signature. Also had 2 Cubalayas and 2 Partridge Chanteclers. Getting 2 Golden Campines and 2 Barred Rocks next week. I do enjoy being able to figure out which bird is which by sight. Some are leg banded but that is for DW and DD1. I can tell who is who because I see them several times a day.
Same here, I call all 18 by name and people ask me all the time," how can I tell them apart"

Back
Top Bottom