What do you think killed my chicken? (picture of feathers included) (Lost another more pictures)

Something 4-legged....Let's go on a mission to find the culprit. We'll get you a couple of those cheap (if they're cheap) motion-detection cameras and you can put them at various spots near the coop, and we'll end this mystery! I'll go in halves with you just because I'm so darned curious. I'd like to know what happened to your other bird too!

I've been telling my husband that I wanted to put some motion detector lights up near our coop, but the camera would be so cool. I'd like to know what's going on out there during the night. I'm going to look into it just for my sake - get some prices, etc. and will get back to you.

Has anyone else out there done anything like this?

We could start a new club: "Chicken Detectives"!!! And, maybe a new private-eye type of business...People could call us to come out and do an investigation on mystery stock murders.....Heck, it.could be a hit TV show too!

SO .... Had a mishap last night - I forgot to lock to the coop door - I've been letting them out about 6pm for a few hours - I moved about 7 birds to a breeder pen and left the other birds in the main coop - So after moving and getting the feed and water set up I guess I didnt shut the main coop door. So this morning I could hear my rooster pretty loudly... When I looked out back I noticed another feather pile... Lost another one this morning... This one is my production red .. I posted a picture of an ant hill that was covered in feathers... I removed the feathers and posted the pic in hopes of maybe a foot print in there? I couldn't see one maybe one of you will ..

This time it is definitely spread over a larger area...

We're all so busy; we get off task, trying to do too many things. I am very sorry for all of your losses.

Looks like a 4-footer/coyote kill. By chance, would/could your neighbor have a wayward dog? Whatever it is, you know it's on the prowl am and pm. If you can find the time, at any time, I'd probably bate the sucker. I'd get a small wired cage (so nothing could get through the wire), and put a chicken in there. Get a comfortable chair that's hidden enough so as not to deter the critter, but within shooting range, and wait.....There's no doubt that it will be back. For the pm, one of those motion detector lights would be helpful. And/Or, do you have a department of "Animal Control" in your state/area? If so, because it's killing your livestock, it might trap the predator for you.

If you decide to handle the matter yourself, make sure you know the firearms' regulations in your state/area. In California, you cannot legally discharge a firearm within 150 yards of a dwelling, unless you get written permission from the legal owner of the dwelling.

Good luck.

Ya that's my thoughts exactly... Put out some bate and get even..
I live in GA... If you haven't discharged a firearm in the last month here something is wrong! Haha
My neighbor is out back all the time shooting... In fact I shot at a coyote last winter at 11pm with my 308. I texted the neighbor for him to shoot because he had a better angle. He didn't respond so I took the shot. The next day after talking to his daughter he was mad at her for not waking him up so he could shoot at it! Needless to say any shot any time is fair game around here if it's justified!

How far is the coop from your house? - Nearby activity can give us a better idea: A kill during the day by a four-legger would be a bit unusual (except for a dog). Bobcats are pretty stealth, I think highly unlikely during the day. Foxes not as stealth as a bobcat, but a daylight kill seems unlikely. Coyotes can be quite brazen, and I wouldn't doubt a daylight kill; but they're smart and sensitive to noise, so they're usually more of a night-time killer. I can't tell from the picture, but if there is any kind of a trail of feathers, it's probably a four-legger. They will carry off their kill to the pack or the den.

If there's no trail of feathers (Make sure you look around carefully, i.e., nearby fences may have fur of the killer on it.), it's probably a hawk. They'll peck at the chicken's head first, kill it, and then eats what it can. They'll carry off what they haven't eaten, just like the four-leggers. Hawks come in all sizes, and the larger ones can carry off a grown chicken, no problem.

I've rarely seen any blood or body parts left behind by any of the above-mentioned chicken killers, unless the kill is interrupted. All of the above are killers of opportunity, and if the kill was recent (spring), remember, they have babies to feed too. Therefore, what's "normal" is no longer normal when there's more mouths to feed. Whatever it was, it will probably be back.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Bobcats do come out during the day and do kill during the day. I live in California and I have lost several chickens to bobcats and they were all during the day. They pulled some of my polish right thru a chain link fence. They are bold. I just saw one on the other side of my fence the other day just licking its chops. I only let my chickens out to free range after 3 pm. I have not had any more losses since then.
Marie

Marie: Thank you so much for your input. It is great info. ! I love this site!

I have lived in California's foothills all of my life, and my nearest neighbor is 100 acres away. In 58 years, I've only seen two bobcats and when they realized I was watching them, they fled. My husband has had the same experience as me. So, when I read your post, I was taken back a bit. The bobcat behavior that you described, is not what I've experienced.

So, I did a little research, and found that you are totally correct. Like you said, they hunt at all hours and can be quite brazen.

I found the following info on Goggle, and thought it might be helpful in identifying what looks like a paw print, in her picture of the ant-hill. I'll pass it on.

"First, determine if the track is from a Canine (dog) or Feline (cat)
Canine tracks have definite claw marks, one lobe on the front of the heel pad, and 2 lobes on the rear of the heel pad. In contrast, Feline tracks rarely show claw marks, the front of the heel pad has 2 lobes, and the rear of the heel pad has 3 lobes. Canine tracks are typically rectangular in shape (longer than they are wide), while Feline tracks have more of a square or circular shape (length and width are even or track is wider than it is tall).
Canid_vs_Felid_Tracks_164596_7.gif

Then look at the size of the track
Adult cougar tracks average 3 1/2" tall by 4" wide. In contrast, coyote (and most other dog tracks) are longer than they are wide. Bobcat tracks are much smaller than cougar tracks, typically about 1 1/2" long by 1 3/8" wide.

Cougar_coyote_bobcat_Tracks_164598_7.gif

I'm new to this site and don't know how to do a lot of stuff. I read a recent reply to your issue from "Marie," and found it very helpful. I replied to it with some neat "tracking" info, and didn't know how to copy it to you. Check out.my reply to Marie.

Not to run this subject into the ground, but am curious why the 3:00 time frame stopped the attacks - if the cat hunts at all hours?

Back
Top Bottom