What do you think killed my chicken? (picture of feathers included) (Lost another more pictures)

Not to run this subject into the ground, but am curious why the 3:00 time frame stopped the attacks - if the cat hunts at all hours?
I thought it was a coyote so I started letting them out in the evening while i was out there .. not sure if that's what you were referring to

Hi Longleg,

First of all thanks so much!

On why the after 3pm to tell you quite honestly, I really dont know why it has worked. I had figured I had lost all my chickens before that time in the afternoon and started only letting them out about an hour before they went in to roost. Then I started letting them out a little sooner. Now I just never let them out before 3 because it has worked for me. It has been a good year and a half since I have had any attacks. I also started keeping more than 1 rooster and I feel that has helped also. My roosters start this chain reaction call when they see or hear a predator that is SUPER LOUD! First one roo goes off and then they all start, even the hens making such a ruckus that it scares anything away! I think they have had to learn this technique to adapt and stay alive. We live on almost 4 acres and there are woods right behind us. We have so many predators, all kinds, Bobies, Coyotes, Fox, Hawks, Rattlers, Racoons, Dogs and those are just the ones I have seen. Always on the look-out here that is for sure.

Thanks again,
Marie

Hey Marie,

Very cool. Yep, I wondered why 3:00 was the magic number. So, 3:00 is not magic; it's the changes you made.

Your info is really valuable to us that want to free range any of our livestock. Knowing there are predators out there, I think we should be responsible enough to make a sincere attempt to deter an attack. That's what you did. I love how you made the changes gradually - and fortunately, it worked.

I'm not necessarily all out for just killing the critter, when we've given it an open opportunity to kill. But if we've made an effort to deter it, and it's not working, then I won't hesitate to shoot.

However, we have friends up here that raise sheep and goats, and once in a while, a mountain lion will come in during the night and slaughter the herd; they don't eat the kills - they're teaching their young the art of the attack. You can't deter that - and that's a different story.

Nice going!

Teryn

I failed to mention that within the last 15 years or so, these ranchers have introduced Great Pyrenees, lamas and/or donkeys into their herds/flocks. The attacks are much less frequent.

Wow reading this thread made me really nervous for my flock. I was pretty confident in the security of my coop and run. My biggest threat are raccoons and skunks.

My coop is made out of pallets, that we left like they are and nailed together. There is chicken wire on the inside of the pallets to prevent small animals from slipping into the coop. The door was just a sheet of chicken wire, but I've since nailed a piece of plywood over it to predator proof the door. The egg door is made out of sturdy wood. The floor is made out of very sturdy pine (1 by 4). The only weak spot is the chicken door, but we are fixing that.

The run is made of chain link fence with chicken wire covering the bottom two feet, which is more to keep the chickens in than predators out. I have 8 pullets, no roosters but I am getting one as soon as possible. The chickens are currently let out into their run after school (3 PM). Next spring when they are adults they will be let out into their run in the morning and then let free range when I get home from school and am able to be out with them. In the Winter, they will be kept in the coop and run only.

Here's a picture of my coop before it was placed on the ground.

The door shown in this video is the one that plywood was placed over. It weighs about 400 pounds and is very sturdy and heavy duty. It's raised off the ground about 3 inches.

NOTE: For the winter, I have cut out pieces of plywood with insulation glued to one side that will fit in the places that need to be covered in the winter and/or bad weather.

Just an FYI - I checked into those cameras. The ones with night vision start at about $70.00. If I ever get an extra buck,(dreaming..have 2 kids in college), I'm going to get one.

If you can, I would replace the chicken wire with 1/2" hardware cloth.  

Definitely should. When I lost my first rooster to a coyote my defenses went way up. Hardware cloth Is expensive.. Best deal I found is wayfare.com. But the stuff is solid. I have everything enclosed with hardware cloth and a skirt under the ground going out a about a foot all the way around the coop to stop digging. Finally put chicken wire over the top to stop the hawks (too big an area to cover) . If they die outside the coop it's because I let them out. They should never die inside...

Back
Top Bottom