What do you think killed my chicken? (picture of feathers included) (Lost another more pictures)

It was only about 6 months old so it wasnt full size yet. Do you think that it'd still be too big for a hawk? We live in GA so we have anything you can think of coming out of the woods... around 6 years back there was a black bear in a town about 8 miles from my house so anything is possible!

I still am sticking to my idea that is a hawk, for even a full grown amaracaun(sorry my spelling is bad) is usualy donly three to four pounds max; being only six months old, is not fully grown, would weigh enough for a hawk to scoop it away

I still am sticking to my idea that is a hawk, for even a full grown amaracaun(sorry my spelling is bad) is usualy donly three to four pounds max; being only six months old, is not fully grown, would weigh enough for a hawk to scoop it away
Thats what i'm leaning towards as well.

How far is the coop from your house? - Nearby activity can give us a better idea: A kill during the day by a four-legger would be a bit unusual (except for a dog). Bobcats are pretty stealth, I think highly unlikely during the day. Foxes not as stealth as a bobcat, but a daylight kill seems unlikely. Coyotes can be quite brazen, and I wouldn't doubt a daylight kill; but they're smart and sensitive to noise, so they're usually more of a night-time killer. I can't tell from the picture, but if there is any kind of a trail of feathers, it's probably a four-legger. They will carry off their kill to the pack or the den.

If there's no trail of feathers (Make sure you look around carefully, i.e., nearby fences may have fur of the killer on it.), it's probably a hawk. They'll peck at the chicken's head first, kill it, and then eats what it can. They'll carry off what they haven't eaten, just like the four-leggers. Hawks come in all sizes, and the larger ones can carry off a grown chicken, no problem.

I've rarely seen any blood or body parts left behind by any of the above-mentioned chicken killers, unless the kill is interrupted. All of the above are killers of opportunity, and if the kill was recent (spring), remember, they have babies to feed too. Therefore, what's "normal" is no longer normal when there's more mouths to feed. Whatever it was, it will probably be back.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Thanks... There were definitely tail feathers. It was probably 50 feet from the back of my house and maybe 100 feet from the closest woods

The more I look at the feathers the more I'm going with Farmerbrowne...hawk. Most of the feathers are in one location: I think the hawk attacked, there was an obvious struggle, maybe it ate some right there, but then flew off with the bird. There's a few straggling feathers. But if it was a four-legged predator I think there would be more of a trail, or maybe a pile at the first attack, then a trail to some degree, or another spot close-by the original attack, as the predator continues to kill the bird. Considering it's daylight, and the kill was rather close to the house, if a four-legger was daring enough, it would most likely make the attempt to kill, but grab the bird regardless, and hit the road.

I believe the evidence, is not without a reasonable doubt, but points most strongly to the hawk. Unfortunately, with free-rangers, that's part of the risk. I've had the same problem, because I like my chickens to free-range too. I've taught my dogs to know that the hawk call is a "bad" sound and I point up to the sky. They see the hawk and associate the call with the bird. I've taught them to watch for the "bad birdies in the sky." And they do, and will keep hawks away....when they're not on some other job, like napping.

I hope the bad guy goes somewhere else for its meals. Sincerest wishes.

I think I lost an Ameraucana today.... Also as I did a head count one of my full grown partridge rocks is completely missing w/out a trace. I know they'll go hide if they get super scared so she could show up in the morning, but she could be gone as well.

Not enough feathers and the distribution of the feathers that are left behind is all wrong for a hawk attack. Looks like a coyote or fox kill sight to me.

I lost a rooster to a coyote last year and there was a trail somewhat in the woods and a definite site with lots of blood. The lack of blood and trail is what was making me think hawk... But when I surveyed the scene there was definitely a struggle in at least 3 or 4 spots which I wouldn't think a hawk would leave right?

Back
Top Bottom