What does 40-60 Pied and 10-90 Pied mean?

Some pied peacock can be ..... very ....very Blue !

..... here 6.5 % of white feathers
.... and there are pied peacock how are 6.5 % of blues feathers !

What about pied progressive 60% blue ... ► 55% blue .... ► 50% blue .... ► 45% blue .... ► 10% blue!

... in cameo color !

general terms to describe white patterns and color

Dark Pied: only a few feathers scattered throughout the plumage are white the can appear anywhere on the body
Loud Pied: 30-50% of the bird has white feathers
Reverse Pied: a bird has more white than normal coloration
Silver Pied: a bird has 80+ percent white coverage and also displays the white eye gene
White: bird is completely white with no other color present in the plumage, if any are present it falls under the name silver pied.
Split White: a bird has normal coloration with two or so white feathers on the wings, this is different than dark pied because the feathers are only on the wings and are symmetrical in their placement.
White Eye: the train feathers on the male have white centers and the hens have white feathers scattered where the train would grow on them.
Split White Eye: there are a few train feathers with white centers but it does not cover the whole train. Females have a few scattered white feathers where the train would be.

Hope this helps.

general terms to describe white patterns and color

Dark Pied: only a few feathers scattered throughout the plumage are white the can appear anywhere on the body
Loud Pied: 30-50% of the bird has white feathers
Reverse Pied: a bird has more white than normal coloration
Silver Pied: a bird has 80+ percent white coverage and also displays the white eye gene
White: bird is completely white with no other color present in the plumage, if any are present it falls under the name silver pied.
Split White: a bird has normal coloration with two or so white feathers on the wings, this is different than dark pied because the feathers are only on the wings and are symmetrical in their placement.
White Eye: the train feathers on the male have white centers and the hens have white feathers scattered where the train would grow on them.
Split White Eye: there are a few train feathers with white centers but it does not cover the whole train. Females have a few scattered white feathers where the train would be.

Hope this helps.
First, you can't tell a bird is dark pied unless you know his parents, no matter how he looks.
Second, every breeder will explain loud pied birds differently, but, I think most of them will agree a loud pied should have at least 50% white no less.
Third, again you can't tell split white birds without knowing their parents or breeding them, not every white feather in the wing means split white.
Fourth, a split white bird sometimes will not show any white on his body at all or will only show a white patch on his neck.
Finally, most split white eye birds will not show any white eye in their trains and if they will have they will be very few, hens usually will not show any whites on their backs if they were split white eye.

Last edited:
"Finally, most split white eye birds will not show any white eye in their trains and if they will have they will be very few, hens usually will not show any whites on their backs if they were split white eye."

it can be progressive .... more every year !
it can be ... a
year they are there the following year ... nothing!

Sure you can, a dark pied is a bird who has one copy of the pied gene but lacks the white gene. I've yet to see one that doesn't have at least a few white feathers on the body that give it away. Sometimes they're in places where they aren't easily seen just looking at the bird without close inspection. As for split white as I stated earlier you'll have birds with symmetrical white on the front edges of the wings, again while the rules are flexible I've yet to see a bird that doesn't look this way. The throat patch can be a sign too but is more often seen on dark pieds.

I will remember ...."Of the India Blue birds no visual differences of one split to Black Shoulder."
Not really clear :
"
  1. India Blue to Black Shoulder produces all India Blue chicks and carries the Black Shoulder pattern. These birds are referred to as split or “Heterozygous”, which means a bird looks one color and pattern but carries another color or pattern."

1. India Blue to Black Shoulder ( of any color except blue) produces all India Blue chicks and carries the Black Shoulder pattern. These birds are referred to as split or “Heterozygous”, which means a bird looks one color and pattern but carries another color or pattern.

Last edited:
BS always confuses me, literally.
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Sure you can, a dark pied is a bird who has one copy of the pied gene but lacks the white gene. I've yet to see one that doesn't have at least a few white feathers on the body that give it away. Sometimes they're in places where they aren't easily seen just looking at the bird without close inspection. As for split white as I stated earlier you'll have birds with symmetrical white on the front edges of the wings, again while the rules are flexible I've yet to see a bird that doesn't look this way. The throat patch can be a sign too but is more often seen on dark pieds.

My understanding is "Dark Pied" is a bird that carries 2 copies of the pied gene and no white gene.... Pied x Pied pairings will produce approx. 50% pied(1 copy pied and 1 copy white) offspring, 25% white (2 copies white gene no pied genes) and 25% Dark Pied ( 2 copies Pied no white gene). Also split to whites are very random, so far this year I have produced 2 chicks out of my white male and bronze female and neither has had any white wing feathers, several others from these have white wing feathers but they are not marked symmetrically at all.

Back
Top Bottom