What does 40-60 Pied and 10-90 Pied mean?

amsunshine

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
Kansas
I heard someone refer to a pied peacock as 40-60 and another as 10-90? What does that mean? I assume blue to white ratio, but which is which? Is 40 the blue, or the white? Thanks in advance.

Thanks tho in this case they are using 2 numbers to describe the bird. So 10-90 - for example - what is the percentage of white? 10 or 90?

Thanks tho in this case they are using 2 numbers to describe the bird. So 10-90 - for example - what is the percentage of white? 10 or 90?

Depends on the bird and who's using it
wink.png
If someone is referring to a silver pied, then it's 90% white. I suspect they are suggesting 60% white on the first bird, and 90% white on the second bird.

Always ask for pictures. Worth a thousand words, right?
old.gif

This bird is 80% white at one year old .... adult, it will be 90%! ... they have more feathers when they are full developpement !

A Silver Pied is a White bird with 10% to 20% color.
An India Blue Pied White Eye is a colored bird with 30% to 40% white on it.

So you have a Dark Pied that has very little white on it.
A Pied White Eye which would have 30 to 40% white on it.
A Pied with up to around 60% white on it.
Loud Pied with up to 80% white.
And Silver Pied that has 80% to 90% white which is really a White bird with 20% to 10% color.

Silver Pied yearling pair on right.

India Blue Pied, 20% white

Only the picture can tell how much white the bird has, you could give an appreciation on how much white the bird has by his look.

By the way its not always nicer to have more white, some birds with less white are nicer, and many pieds are nicer than silver pieds, its how the white shapes in the body that will make him nicer or not.

See this midnight pied peacock from Leggs farm? In my opinion its nicer than all the midnight silver pied peacocks i have seen before.

Back
Top Bottom