what feed do you like and dislike

Any one have an opinion on the Kalmbach brand, my feed store just started carrying it and its cheaper then the feed ive been using (Layena). Any thoughts?

Matt, May I ask how you know this. Not saying I dont believe you just wondering if this is something you've heard or something you've seen. thanks

Chris does not seem "mad" at all - but to have misinformation peddled as fact can be frustrating when the correct information is readily available to anyone who takes the time to avail themselves of it. The only one reading as being defensive or taking this as more than a conversation about feed is you
idunno.gif
I'm not really defensive as what my post looks like(of course it does look like I'm being really single minded obviously).
tongue.png
But I don't like Purina, he does, and that's ok. But the corn thing--I can't find anything that says that it slims down a chicken or has a lot of nutrients. Everyone I've talked to in my area only give it to their flock during the winter, because it literally "fattens" them up. But if someone likes to give their chickens that, good for them. Ain't got nothing to do with what I feed mine.
jumpy.gif

I switched to Countryside organic early this spring and the girls love it! Unfortunately, the egg production has been way down and that is the only change I've made in their environment. I have 2 year olds and 3 year olds that are normally excellent layers. I'm seriously considering going back to Manna or Purina. Any additional input would be greatly appreciated.

Wow, you get mad when someone just doesn't like something, calm down dude. As far as I can tell, corn really isn't much to them. Every where I see, corn isn't really that amazing as you say it is. And as for Purina, as far as I can tell, if their other pet foods are crap, then most of it is gonna be crap to me. Plus, I just don't like Purina, plain as that. I've tried the one at tractor supply(small bag, can't remember the exact name) and it wasn't that good. My chickens didn't really eat it as much as what I buy from my local mill, or Mana. Of course, some people may not like what I use and like Purina, that's their business.

Also, I can't shake off that you say corn is just so good for chickens--give me a good, unbiased source that is educational that tells me that corn "slims" a chicken down.
I have yet gotten mad, and also I am not a "dude" learn the definition. (the Real One)

Purina Mills, the company in the U.S. that is owned by Land-O-Lakes and manufactures livestock feed and Red Flannel dog/cat food .
Purina PetCare, the company in the U.S. that is owned by Nestlé manufactures Pet Food etc. Pro Plan.
Just because you used one doesn't mean you used the other, also just because you used Purina Mills cheaper feeds like the ones sold a TSC doesn't mean that you used there better feeds like there wildlife or Mazuri.

I am not going to do your homework for you, but I will say this chickens eat to fill caloric energy, when that need is met they stop eating.
Feeding a lot of corn will in turn make the bird eat less and ingest less nutrition that corn does not provide.
Corn is very high in Digestible Energy (DE), Energy of Maintenance (NEm), Energy of Gain (NEg) and Total Digestible Nutrients (TDN)

Here is a little information on corn and the comparison of corn to Barley, Wheat, Oats and Sorghum. Note how corn has more TDN, NEm, NEG, lower NDF and ADF. (a plus in poultry).

As I said I'm not going to do your homework for you, there are a lot of good sites on poultry nutrition out there all you have to do is look for them.

TDN = Total Digestible Nutrients​
NEm = Net Energy of Maintenance​
NEg = Net Energy of Gain​
CP = Crude Protein​
NDF = Neutral Detergent Fiber​
ADF = Acid Detergent Fiber​
Table 1. Nutrient content of various feed grains (NRC, 1996).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Corn Barley Wheat Oats Sorghum
TDN, % 90 88 88 77 82
NEm, Mcal/lb 1.02 0.94 0.99 0.84 0.91
NEg, Mcal/lb 0.70 0.64 0.68 0.55 0.61
CP, % 9.8 13.2 14.2 13.6 12.6
Escape Protein, % of CP 55 27 23 17 57
NDF, % 10.8 18.1 11.8 29.3 16.1
ADF, % 3.3 5.8 4.2 14.0 6.4

Table 2. Mineral content of major feed grains (NRC, 1996).
----------------------------------------------------------
Corn Barley Wheat Oats Sorghum
Calcium, % 0.03 0.05 0.05 0.01 0.04
Phosphorus, % 0.32 0.35 0.44 0.41 0.34
Potassium, % 0.44 0.57 0.40 0.51 0.44
Magnesium, % 0.12 0.12 0.13 0.16 0.17
Sodium, % 0.01 0.01 0.01 0.02 0.01
Sulfur, % 0.11 0.15 0.14 0.21 0.14
Copper, ppm 2.5 5.3 6.5 8.6 4.7
Iron, ppm 54.5 59.5 45.1 94.1 80.8
Manganese, ppm 7.9 18.3 36.6 40.3 15.4
Selenium, ppm 0.14 - 0.05 0.24 0.46
Zinc, ppm 24.2 13.0 38.1 40.8 0.99
Cobalt, ppm - 0.35 - 0.06 -
Molybdenum, ppm 0.60 1.16 0.12 1.70 -

Table 3. Nutrient content of corn using different harvest, storage,
or processing methods.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Escape
Dry TDN, NEm, NEg, Protein,
Corn Type Matter % Mcal/lb Mcal/lb CP, % % of CP
Dry Rolled Corn 86 90 1.02 0.70 9.8 60
Ear Corn 87 83 0.92 0.62 9.0 60
Steam Flaked Corn 82 94 1.06 0.73 10.0 45
High Moisture Corn 75 90 1.02 0.70 10.0 40
High Moisture Ear Corn 75 83 0.92 0.62 8.7 40
High Moisture Snapped Corn 74 81 0.90 0.59 8.8 40

Last edited:
I'm not really defensive as what my post looks like(of course it does look like I'm being really single minded obviously).
tongue.png
But I don't like Purina, he does, and that's ok. But the corn thing--I can't find anything that says that it slims down a chicken or has a lot of nutrients. Everyone I've talked to in my area only give it to their flock during the winter, because it literally "fattens" them up. But if someone likes to give their chickens that, good for them. Ain't got nothing to do with what I feed mine.
jumpy.gif
Reread what I posted,
I did not say I liked all Purina feeds, I said I liked there Wildlife and there Mazuri feed.
I also said that I dislike any poultry feed that does not contain animal proteins.....

Reread what I posted,
I did not say I liked all Purina feeds, I said I liked there Wildlife and there Mazuri feed.
I also said that I dislike any poultry feed that does not contain animal proteins.....
I'm not looking to fight. I've already done my homework, and I don't like corn. And if me using the word dude offends you--remember that the English language changes over time whether you like it or not, and I'm not referring to you as the original definition.
idunno.gif
We can always agree to disagree, right?

The feed I like the most is the kind I don't pay for. ha ha
I have a guy I bring eggs to at work and about every month he brings me a bag of feed. He brings the rural king brand of feed. Country road. I have him bring the scratch grains because you can see what is in it (mostly crushed corn). I use it for a treat and in the evening before they go to bed in the winter.

I'm not looking to fight. I've already done my homework, and I don't like corn. And if me using the word dude offends you--remember that the English language changes over time whether you like it or not, and I'm not referring to you as the original definition.
idunno.gif
We can always agree to disagree, right?

I'm not fighting.
If you did your homework you would know that corn in a poultry's diet is in fact a good thing.
Also you said that you use, "mana" could that be Manna Pro?
If so there feed has just as much corn as Purina's low end feed along with a number of other feed Mfg's so apparently you don't mind it much or you you'd be using a No Corn Diet.
If you referring to another, "mana" please fill free to post a website.

Back
Top Bottom