What happened to her feet??????

Hmm, well im 50-50.
If the bird is not in pain or limping then you should leave it alone.
On the other hand, the thought of bumble foot/fluid build up pops to mind, maybe if you just soaked it warm water, and waited to see if anything happens? If anything it wont hurt to try?

Hmm, well im 50-50.
If the bird is not in pain or limping then you should leave it alone.
On the other hand, the thought of bumble foot/fluid build up pops to mind, maybe if you just soaked it warm water, and waited to see if anything happens? If anything it wont hurt to try?
ok, I'll soak it in warm water. I'll keep checking it every morning and if I see the tell tale black scab I will post pictures again.

ok, I'll soak it in warm water. I'll keep checking it every morning and if I see the tell tale black scab I will post pictures again.

Awesome! Keep us updated! And hopefully someone with more suggestions will pop on for you :D

Ha! You got everything but the side of the toe I wanted!
lau.gif
I knew I needed to be more descriptive! The toe with the swelling... I can see one side. In the very last picture above, the part of the swollen toe that is facing your hand....does it have a scab?

Ha! You got everything but the side of the toe I wanted!
lau.gif
I knew I needed to be more descriptive! The toe with the swelling... I can see one side. In the very last picture above, the part of the swollen toe that is facing your hand....does it have a scab?

no, it is just sort of grey instead of the regular yellowish orange of a chicken foot.

If you're going to do the soak - make it really warm water and if you have epsom salts - add a bunch! It will help draw out any infection - like if an infection has set in into the top of the toe nail.

Speaking of drawing out infection- have you considered using ichthammol on it? If there was ever an instance where drawing salve would be recommended, I would say this is it. I am pretty sure that there is some sort of infection in the toe. Where it started is the question. I am thinking something may have gotten jammed under the toenail as there are no other open areas to account for it. Soaking in epsom salts is a great idea and may indeed be all that's needed. If the soaks don't work, though, I would try the ichthammol before I started cutting into the toe. You have the luxury of time whereas most folks don't. Foot/toe infections don't usually get noticed until the bird is hobbling around with a horribly infected limb/appendage and the problem must be fixed ASAP. I would use the time to explore non-surgical options in treating this issue.

Back
Top Bottom