What has black feet, feathered legs, but only 4 toes?

What did this chick turn out to be? I hatched lavender orpingtons and got one with the black gene, and it looks alot like yours.
This is my best and most recent picture of her.

I think she's a poor quality d'uccle, maybe mixed with an OEGB? She's really cute and sweet, whatever she is!

Last edited:
Thank you! She is very pretty! I have some d'uccle in my incubator right now! I don't breed for show or anything. Just like pretty birds!

I have one like that, w/ a white spot on her chest. She is on the small side and her black feathers have a purple undertone. Black feet and beek. She is a noisy little thing but so pretty, can't figure out her breed

I have one like that, w/ a white spot on her chest. She is on the small side and her black feathers have a purple undertone. Black feet and beek. She is a noisy little thing but so pretty, can't figure out her breed
I'd love to see pics if you have them! She sounds quite pretty.

Ours did end up being a d'uccle mix, I think, as she's laying tinted eggs now! We narrowed it down to either d'uccle mix or Easter egger mix, and the egg decided it.

She's her "full size" now, too, and can still fit in my palm. So tiny!

I'd love to see pics if you have them! She sounds quite pretty. Ours did end up being a d'uccle mix, I think, as she's laying tinted eggs now! We narrowed it down to either d'uccle mix or Easter egger mix, and the egg decided it. She's her "full size" now, too, and can still fit in my palm. So tiny!
Good size egg for such a little girl! And she's still lovely!

Good size egg for such a little girl! And she's still lovely!

Thank you! She's been very consistent too! We've gotten an egg from her almost much every other day, like clockwork. She's a surprisingly good little layer!

She did turn out to be beautiful - congratulations.

Thanks! Pictures don't even do her justice, her black feathers all have beetle green iridescence, too.

I will try to get a pic asap. She has yet to get any other color pigments. We did also notice small feathers above the feet. She is not mucgph bigger then the youngest chick we have that is 2 months, were guess her to be around 4 months. She has qualities of a sweedish black hen, but I have read those are quite rare. I have a rock and an all white feather chicken w/ very red comb and waddles but we have yet to hear it doodle do, it seems a tad aggressive but not mean. My rock is for sure a hen, my youngest still has some fluffy light yellow with a couple random black spots. I happened to get them for free from a Lady w/ a farm who was going on a family vacation for 3 weeks and didn't want to leave them. She is actually an awesome person. My oldest is 7 w/ autism, she loves the chickens, I have been reading about therapy chickens.

Can I join the conversation? I love the "grown up" versions of your little black chicks. We just hatched a batch of chicks Friday and 4 of them have feathered legs, 4 toes, black/gray top sides of their feet. I'll have to check the undersides of the feet. All black and heads are really much smaller even after 2 days than the rest of our chicks we thought were combos of BR and RIR. We have other black chicks, but these 4 are a mystery with all of the qualities I just mentioned. I'll try to get a few pictures of them alone and post later. They are also sort of light on the belly and under butt and their backs sort of glimmer, not silver, but not exactly dark black either. My husband and I haven't had chickens since we were kids and none ever like these so its a puzzle to us.

Back
Top Bottom